Adding to the family...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstrick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 26 Gal. Bow front tank, did the fishless cycle
(that took for.ev.er...), added our first fish back at the beginning of January.

First fish added:
2 Pearl Danios
3 Zebra Danios

Last week we added:
1 Guppy
1 Platy (I don't remember which kind... either a Sunburst or Sunset Platy - I know bad mommy...)
3 Neon Tetras

the Pearl Danios seem to chase the Neon Tetras... they don't nip or anything they just scare the little fellas. I realize that the danios and the tetras all want to be in schools... I had conflicting advice at the lfs about the danio schools. One person said to bring them up to 5 pearls and 5 zebras before adding anything else. One person said that they would school together. Since I wanted to add more variety and color to the tank I went with the advice that said they would school together.

How do it make the Neons feel more comfortable? Do I add more neons and give them more friends? Or do I add more Pearls to keep them occupied? Or should I do something different?

thanks in advance!

I don't know about the danios v tetra, but when I started I had 3 neon tetra. They stuck together. Later I added another 7 making 10 in total. After a short while, they began swimming mostly separately, not In a school. I then read that they only school when they feel threatened, so swimming separately is a good thing

My point is that they seemed happier with 10 of them than just 3 of them

If shoot for atleast 5 of each, danios can get nippy when in small groups, if you up the group numbers the aggression will be contained within said group! Zebras are nuts through so I wouldn't go more than 5 in your tank, I'd up the neons to atleast 2 more than the other groups..

Back
Top Bottom