Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kolkata
Posts: 280
additon of activated carbon

Hi guys...
I hav a 78 gallon cichlid tank with 1 UGF & 1 power filter. This power filter in not a hob type.just a normal inside tank power head with a little canister attached with it which have spunge as it's media. Now my question is can I add activted carbon bag alongwith spunge directly to the power filter which is inside my tank?or Is that harmfull to keep activated carbon to a inside tank power filter?plz need suggession. Thanx
__________________

__________________
sayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Is there reason you need to add carbon (such as removing meds)? If there isnt, I would not bother adding carbon because it really isnt necessary. The sponges should work just fine.
__________________

__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,336
Using Activated Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayan View Post
Hi guys...
I hav a 78 gallon cichlid tank with 1 UGF & 1 power filter. This power filter in not a hob type.just a normal inside tank power head with a little canister attached with it which have spunge as it's media. Now my question is can I add activted carbon bag alongwith spunge directly to the power filter which is inside my tank?or Is that harmfull to keep activated carbon to a inside tank power filter?plz need suggession. Thanx
Hello say...

Carbon or chemical filtration isn't important in a freshwater tank. Simple, weekly water changes do more for your tank than carbon filtration. Chemical filtration simply removes dissolved substances that mechanical and biological filtration misses. A water change does that and more.

Just commit to a weekly water change routine and you can stop using chemical filtration.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kolkata
Posts: 280
@ jik, yup I hav a bogwood which I soaked in the water over a week now. I want to add carbon as if I place the bogwood to my tank may be it wil create the water a little cloudy. Carbon can solve this prob easily. Just if it isn't harmful to my fish I'll go for it. But not for permanent. So is this work?
__________________
sayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kolkata
Posts: 280
@BBradbury,thanx. I know a weekly change of water makes all. Even I do so. For the above mentioned reason I want to add carbon to my filter. Bt not permanently just for few days so dat the cloudiness of bogwood vanish soon.though its releasing very lower amount of tanin.
__________________
sayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,336
Using Activated Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayan View Post
@BBradbury,thanx. I know a weekly change of water makes all. Even I do so. For the above mentioned reason I want to add carbon to my filter. Bt not permanently just for few days so dat the cloudiness of bogwood vanish soon.though its releasing very lower amount of tanin.
Hello again say...

It's not wrong to use carbon. Use it and do the water changes and the water will clear up faster.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kolkata
Posts: 280
Thanx buddy... for your info.wil go to my LFS tomorrow & plan for buy a lil bag of activated carbon.
__________________
sayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 11,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayan View Post
@ jik, yup I hav a bogwood which I soaked in the water over a week now. I want to add carbon as if I place the bogwood to my tank may be it wil create the water a little cloudy. Carbon can solve this prob easily. Just if it isn't harmful to my fish I'll go for it. But not for permanent. So is this work?
Add the bogwood & see what it does- if you have well soaked it, it shouldnt cloud your water. If it does, your fine to use some carbon & some extra wcs to clear your water up.
__________________
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kolkata
Posts: 280
Thanx jik. Surely I'll do so as u say.
__________________
sayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
sayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kolkata
Posts: 280
Went to my LFS.bought a bag of "miracle baby" high absorptive activated carbon. in the box it says it is made of nature carbonize peat,large number of pore, low specific gravity and treble absorption than usual coco shell carbon.let's hope for some good result now. Wil rinse before I add it into my inside tank power filter.
__________________

__________________
sayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
activated carbon, carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
picture of things under my rocks ..and sun corals?? NewFishy Saltwater & Reef - Identification 10 03-09-2012 07:00 PM
full dose of melafix for betta? Gingimaru Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 32 03-08-2012 04:38 AM
Sixline wrasse is getting out of hand Greenpillow Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 03-02-2012 06:27 PM
Id'ing gender of angelfish mrwizard Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 03-02-2012 09:33 AM
A bunch of new corals and a skimmer spoonman Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 10 03-02-2012 03:03 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.