Adjusted Ph and now have cloudy water? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsB09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I am new to this site and must say it seems extremly helpful so fair. I used to keep tropical fish about 4 years ago and have decided to revist my previous hobby.

I have a 60 litre tank that is a community tank. Everything has been going really well, ammonia measured max of 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.25ish. Ph however was 8.4! so after 4 weeks of running the tank i thought it would be simple to adjust the ph.

I bought proper ph 7.0 and added this to the tank after i have done a routine water change however the water has gone extremly cloudy.

It states on the leaflet that using this product with hard water may course a cloud that will quickly disapear however it has been all afternoon and its still no better.

Can anyone suggest what i should do? Do you think i should just leave it now? The only thing also is that the ph has reduced but only to 7.4 and i am aiming for this to be 7.0. Should i add more and then wait for the cloud to go?

appreciate your time

Knowing what the ph of your tap water help! Unless you have a drastically high number for ph (9 or 10), i would not touch it. Your fish will adjust to the higher ph. If your tap is signifigantly lower than your tank, gradual pwcs over the course of the day will naturally lower the ph. The big ph swing down you have created by adding the chemicals may have drastic consequences for your fish- they can not adjust well to swings beyond .2. I would work on doing pwcs (20% at time) over the course of the day to try & remove the chemicals you have added. Others may have some more suggestions!

not sure, but i think proper pH is to be added only to a cycled tank........

and your tank is not cycled if you still have ammonia readings. just a question, you didn't state if you had fish or not in the tank. if you do, i'd suggest doing a WC(if you know the pH of your tap water/RO). +1^ on the WCs........do 20% like said by jlk

i'd do nothing more than that.

If you don't have fish, i'd do a 50% WC until the cloudiness goes away, wait for the tank to finish cycling. I wouldn't add more.

Thanks for the replys. I was told by my shop to adjust the ph so thats good advise not! I do have fish in the tank so i have carried out a 20% change, the water looks better already.

I am thinking my tank is cycled as the ammonia is normally 0 and rises slighly somtimes. I was given a used filter cartridge so never experienced any smikes.

I was concerned by the ph as my fish have seemed stressed e.g pacing the glass up and down. My tank does have white spot as well so currently treating that and all this extra stress defo wont help that.

thanks for the replies appreciate the guidance

Back
Top Bottom