Advice needed on new 15 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmybliss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again,

Newbie here that could use some advice. I posted my whole fish saga over in the introductions forum, so I won't go into it all again here. Suffice it to say, I am 2 days into a fish in cycle with a betta and 2 green lantern patys.

1) I've got a test kit on order, every shop in my area seems to be out:rolleyes:, but I need advice on a vacuum. I'm using sand instead of gravel, as I just like the look better and thought it would be less likely to collect gunk, but now I'm not so sure.

2) Is it safe to use the castle from my old tank in the new one. I've not done so because of the algae growth, but if there is a way to get rid of the algae w/o soap, I'd like to try.

3) I'd eventually like to add some live plants, but am not sure the type of sand I have. It's just the cheep stuff from from petco. I've browsed through the planted tank forum, but truthfully, it's all Greek to me. The light on my hood is a florescent tube if that helps at all.

4) The test kit won't be here for about a week, is there something I should be doing to keep the water healthy for the fish until I can be sure of levels?

I know I'm asking a lot of basic questions here, but I just want to make sure I provide a safe and happy home for the fish currently under my care, and hopefully add a few more in time.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you give!

If you have algea on your deco, rinse it with bleach solution. The let it sun dry. For plants you can start with javas fern, anubias and crypts. These are low light anx dont need anything special.

As far as what to do until your test kit comes, all you can do is wc's (water changes). It's up to you how many you want to do, but I do atleast one 50% every other day or do a PWC (partial water change) every day of maybe 20-30%.

As far as what to do until your test kit comes, all you can do is wc's (water changes). It's up to you how many you want to do, but I do atleast one 50% every other day or do a PWC (partial water change) every day of maybe 20-30%.

O.K. Thanks for the advice!

Hello again,

Newbie here that could use some advice. I posted my whole fish saga over in the introductions forum, so I won't go into it all again here. Suffice it to say, I am 2 days into a fish in cycle with a betta and 2 green lantern patys.

1) I've got a test kit on order, every shop in my area seems to be out:rolleyes:, but I need advice on a vacuum. I'm using sand instead of gravel, as I just like the look better and thought it would be less likely to collect gunk, but now I'm not so sure. I would recommend a small gravel vac or even a hunk of hose works well. It takes some technique but you basically want to just hover above your sand enough to pick things up of the top and not disturb your sand too much. Youtube some videos on vacuuming sand and it will give you a better idea than I can explain. lol.I also believe that you will need to stir up your sand regularly unless the tank is planted to allow escape of gas build up that can happen.

2) Is it safe to use the castle from my old tank in the new one. I've not done so because of the algae growth, but if there is a way to get rid of the algae w/o soap, I'd like to try. You can certainly use it. When I clean algae off of my tank decor I just take a tooth brush that is for my tank cleaning(filter mostly) and give it a good scrub. I would also suggest boiling it in a pot of water or as mentioned above you can use a bleach solution

3) I'd eventually like to add some live plants, but am not sure the type of sand I have. It's just the cheep stuff from from petco. I've browsed through the planted tank forum, but truthfully, it's all Greek to me. The light on my hood is a florescent tube if that helps at all. I would suggest starting with just low light plants. Anubias, java fern, water sprite are great options that should work. You may need to add some ferts to your water it really depends on what plants you get

4) The test kit won't be here for about a week, is there something I should be doing to keep the water healthy for the fish until I can be sure of levels?You will need to do water changes. I'm of the better safe than sorry camp and would probably do about 30% a day and be sure to vac up what debris you can. Platy are messy little guys, I swear any time I look in my tank at least one is pooping. Any extra waste will up those ammo levels

I know I'm asking a lot of basic questions here, but I just want to make sure I provide a safe and happy home for the fish currently under my care, and hopefully add a few more in time.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you give!

I've responded above in blue. HTH and Welcome to the board!

cmybliss said:
O.K. Thanks for the advice!

I say this because thats all I did, as well as
Keep a very sharp eye on how my fishies behaviors were. When I first got back into the hobby I had my tank up and running for two weeks and fully planned on doing a fishless cycle after a lot of research. I never got around to adding ammonia source to kick start my cycle because I was waiting to get my test kit. Well all my plans changed when one day my mom took my 3 year old out and came back with a red wag and Micky mouse platy because my son wouldnt stop talking about there being no fish in the fishes house (what my son calls the tank)... So at that point it was fish in cycle. And I still went nearly two weeks with fish without having a test kit. I was so worried about my water params the whole time, but the day I got my test kit i was really freaked out, but thankfully they were actually good, ammonia levels ranged from 0-.25ppm and I had not nitrites or trates at all. And all I had done while I didn't have a test kit was once a day or daily PWC's, it all depended on how busy of a day I had. And so far my fish seem perfectly happy, very active and exploring a lot.

tamtam said:
I've responded above in blue. HTH and Welcome to the board!

Wow! Thank you so much for all the great information!

I just completed today's H2O change, even remembering to add salt to the new water! I made it simple and just changed out 5 gallons, which is a third of the volume. Yay me. Now I just have to keep it up.

I'll have to pop out and get a siphon. Those platys really are poop factories! Should have done a bit of research before I brought them home.

Mrs.h2012 said:
I say this because thats all I did, as well as
Keep a very sharp eye on how my fishies behaviors were. When I first got back into the hobby I had my tank up and running for two weeks and fully planned on doing a fishless cycle after a lot of research. I never got around to adding ammonia source to kick start my cycle because I was waiting to get my test kit. Well all my plans changed when one day my mom took my 3 year old out and came back with a red wag and Micky mouse platy because my son wouldnt stop talking about there being no fish in the fishes house (what my son calls the tank)... So at that point it was fish in cycle. And I still went nearly two weeks with fish without having a test kit. I was so worried about my water params the whole time, but the day I got my test kit i was really freaked out, but thankfully they were actually good, ammonia levels ranged from 0-.25ppm and I had not nitrites or trates at all. And all I had done while I didn't have a test kit was once a day or daily PWC's, it all depended on how busy of a day I had. And so far my fish seem perfectly happy, very active and exploring a lot.

3 year olds, the sworn enemies of best laid plans.

I'm really glad to read your success story, it gives me hope that my fishies are not doomed.

Wow! Thank you so much for all the great information!

I just completed today's H2O change, even remembering to add salt to the new water! I made it simple and just changed out 5 gallons, which is a third of the volume. Yay me. Now I just have to keep it up.

I'll have to pop out and get a siphon. Those platys really are poop factories! Should have done a bit of research before I brought them home.

No problem, glad I could help.:)

I have 4 platy, 3 mickey mouse and 1 red wag and yes they really do poop. lol. I just looked into my tank 20 minutes ago and 3 of the 4 were trailing poop behind them. :rolleyes: They are one of my favorite fish in my tank though so it's worth it imo. They come in so many colors as well which is nice. My kids just love them.

Oh and to add to what my 3 year old has done for the hobby so far... Yesterday he got ahold of the fish food, dumped half of it out on the table I have my tank on, and had put so much food in the tank it was like fish food Christmas for my fish, it was snowing fish food in my tank :/ I had to do a massive WC, like close to 100%, just an hour after finishing my daily 30-40% PWC. And thank god my ammonia levels have been decent, haven't gotten up to 1ppm surprisingly, still
Not sure how they haven't went of the charts, I've been able to stay between .25-.5ppm somehow.

Oh and to add to what my 3 year old has done for the hobby so far... Yesterday he got ahold of the fish food, dumped half of it out on the table I have my tank on, and had put so much food in the tank it was like fish food Christmas for my fish, it was snowing fish food in my tank :/ I had to do a massive WC, like close to 100%, just an hour after finishing my daily 30-40% PWC. And thank god my ammonia levels have been decent, haven't gotten up to 1ppm surprisingly, still
Not sure how they haven't went of the charts, I've been able to stay between .25-.5ppm somehow.

Oh no! I keep my food way up out of reach of little fingers and hubby. lol.

The last 3 days my 1 1/2 year old has taken a huge interest in the tank, She's always wanting me to set the chair up for her to watch them. She calls them pretty and "ooooos and aaahhhs" over them. I think it's adorable and hubby accuses me of plotting against him. Thinks soon she will want her own tank. ;) I'm still trying to talk him into 1 for my boys room.

Mrs.h2012 said:

Oh no! Considering how long it took me to change out 5 gallons, I would just want to cry! As for your levels, I hope I have as good of luck as you.

tamtam said:
Oh no! I keep my food way up out of reach of little fingers and hubby. lol.

The last 3 days my 1 1/2 year old has taken a huge interest in the tank, She's always wanting me to set the chair up for her to watch them. She calls them pretty and "ooooos and aaahhhs" over them. I think it's adorable and hubby accuses me of plotting against him. Thinks soon she will want her own tank. ;) I'm still trying to talk him into 1 for my boys room.

Ha! These are my 11 year old daughter's fish, but you can guess who's doing all the work. So far, I'm enjoying watching the little dudes swim around. I think the cat likes the platys too. ;-)

Oh no! Considering how long it took me to change out 5 gallons, I would just want to cry! As for your levels, I hope I have as good of luck as you.

Ha! These are my 11 year old daughter's fish, but you can guess who's doing all the work. So far, I'm enjoying watching the little dudes swim around. I think the cat likes the platys too. ;-)

ahh that's the way it goes. My kids are still young though(5,2 1/2 and 1 1/2)so I expect to do all the work. lol.

Once you get a syphon/gravel vac the water changes are SO much easier.

tamtam said:
ahh that's the way it goes. My kids are still young though(5,2 1/2 and 1 1/2)so I expect to do all the work. lol.

Once you get a syphon/gravel vac the water changes are SO much easier.

I'm pretty sure that mine would make a bigger mess for me to clean if she tried to do a wc. :p

Good to know things will get easier with a gravel vac. This scooping stuff is for the birds.

So, I noticed today that my betta has a white spot on his head:-(. I think it's ich. The water quality in his old 1 gal was pretty bad due to the stubborn algae and my general lack of fish knowledge, which I have been trying to remedy. I've done a pwc, 40% and am slowly increasing the temp. It's currently @ 84°. Sorry, I can't give water readings as my test kit has not arrived yet. I've also been using salt in the new tank. Is there anything else I should do for him and his 2 tank mates? (green lantern platys) I'm assuming at this point it's best to treat the whole tank.

Also, I was wondering if it would be worth ordering one of those active filters from angelsplus.com. Would it help in getting my cycle started?

Thanks for any help you can give.

For reference :

15 gallon-3 days into fish-in cycle
Sand substrate
HOB filter
Heated
1 betta
2 green lantern platy

So, I noticed today that my betta has a white spot on his head:-(. I think it's ich. The water quality in his old 1 gal was pretty bad due to the stubborn algae and my general lack of fish knowledge, which I have been trying to remedy. I've done a pwc, 40% and am slowly increasing the temp. It's currently @ 84°. Sorry, I can't give water readings as my test kit has not arrived yet. I've also been using salt in the new tank. Is there anything else I should do for him and his 2 tank mates? (green lantern platys) I'm assuming at this point it's best to treat the whole tank.

Also, I was wondering if it would be worth ordering one of those active filters from angelsplus.com. Would it help in getting my cycle started?

Thanks for any help you can give.

For reference :

15 gallon-3 days into fish-in cycle
Sand substrate
HOB filter
Heated
1 betta
2 green lantern platy

the active filter certainly won't hurt and I've heard great things about them.

How do the platies seem? I would try to medicate the betta on it's own but if you can't then the whole tank should be fine. Once everything clears up you can run some active carbon in your tank/filter for a few weeks to remove the meds from the water.

Are you just running the salt in your tank because of the ick?

tamtam said:
the active filter certainly won't hurt and I've heard great things about them.

How do the platies seem? I would try to medicate the betta on it's own but if you can't then the whole tank should be fine. Once everything clears up you can run some active carbon in your tank/filter for a few weeks to remove the meds from the water.

Are you just running the salt in your tank because of the ick?

I went ahead and ordered the filter. For $8 and change it figure it's worth a shot.

He's a bit more active today and managed to eat two pellets , but the platys are harassing him. They've nipped at his pretty tail:-( I moved him back to the 1 gallon he came from, which thankfully I scrubbed clean the other day, as a temporary measure. But the problem is there's no heater. I'm going to call the shop I got the platys from and see if I can return them. Baring that, I'll p/u a tank divider. The ich looks like it's near his gills now, so I'm not sure how much longer he'll be able to fight it off.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom