Advice on Betta in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alliebird

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I've set up my 20g high tank, no fish (or plants) yet.

I've asked at two LFS stores about putting a betta in a community tank, and gotten two different answers. Store 1 told me a betta would be stressed by other fish and the high water flow of a 20g, store 2 said one should be fine as long as there were no nippy tankmates or other fish with long fins for the betta to target.

I'm willing to try, though not until other fish are established in the tank. I'd like to keep the number of fish in the tank low, and I don't have firm plans as to what those fish will be. I was thinking Platies and Kuhli loaches, and maybe a mystery snail. Open to suggestions, though.

What are your thoughts?
:thanks:

I should mention a 6 yo is involved in the tank planning-she's the one with her heart set on a betta. Bonus points for any fish suggestions with animal names...she was very excited when she found out about Dalmatian mollies, although I'm certain they would not be good tankmates!

Ive had two community tanks with bettas in them and everyone got along. I think it really comes down to what fish you put them in with and the bettas personality. Also both tanks were planted and had places to hide/relax. The one tank had mollies, platys, and otos and snails. The one I have now is only beginning to be stocked and has a betta and a pleco. But be prepared and have an extra tank set up if you see the betta isnt compatible! Also my tank currently has 3 filters and move the water a decent bit but there are a few calmer areas and my betta has no issues. I also turn one down when I feed the betta and he does just fine!

I agree with the above, I had a 55gal discus tank with a Betta at one point. He did fine. But I think every Betta is going to be different.

Thank you both so much!

A few follow-up questions:

1) Any advice on picking a chill Betta?

2) Would Mollies be okay? I was under the impression they are nippy, but I would love to have some with the Betta if possible.

3) Any other suggestions for fish that would tolerate a proper fish-in cycle and not be nippy towards a future betta tankmate? Choices are good: I was originally thinking Zebra Danios*, but the LFS has not had them for the last couple of weeks. Hoping to get our first fish this Friday.

* 6 yo liked that idea b/c she loves Zebras. :)

Thanks again!!

I personally don't like mollies and zebra danios need more horizontal swimming space than you'd have in a 20 high, last I heard people recommend at least a 20 long for them. As far as picking a good Betta, I have no good advice there. So you're doing a fish in cycle?

Maybe try black skirt tetras? I'm not sure on their size compatibility with your tank, that may be a bad idea with the Betta idk, but your daughter might like them. Hopefully someone can give some more advice on that. You could try khuli loaches. They stay at the bottom and are pretty chill.

Yes to the fish-in cycle. I'm planning on doing water changes 2-3 times a week until things settle down. My LFS (a good one!) sells pre-seeded filter media which I'm thinking about purchasing along with my first fish to speed things along.

I used zebra danios to cycle the 20H tank before--once the tank was up and running, they spawned on a fairly regular basis, so I'm willing to try them again.

I'm open to all suggestions on fish okay for the first cycle who will eventually be nice tankmates for the betta. I love loaches and would like to get some Kuhlis after the cycling is done. :)

I had mollies with a betta but that was a 40 gallon breeder so they had plenty of room with no nipping. And you really wont know the bettas true personality til hes in the tank. Platys are a decently hardy fish. Mine all survived when I first started and had no clue what I was doing lol. You could try platys and maybe some bottom dwellers like cories or otos? Although Id say the cories might be more active! Also Ive always added the betta last!

as long as you have some sort of cover that the betta can hang under like a rock ledge or even a few plants , he will be just fine in a community tank . when I had freshwater tanks I had 3 in a 35g hex community tank 2 females 1 male ,

Hello all,

I've set up my 20g high tank, no fish (or plants) yet.

I've asked at two LFS stores about putting a betta in a community tank, and gotten two different answers. Store 1 told me a betta would be stressed by other fish and the high water flow of a 20g, store 2 said one should be fine as long as there were no nippy tankmates or other fish with long fins for the betta to target.

I'm willing to try, though not until other fish are established in the tank. I'd like to keep the number of fish in the tank low, and I don't have firm plans as to what those fish will be. I was thinking Platies and Kuhli loaches, and maybe a mystery snail. Open to suggestions, though.

What are your thoughts?

:thanks:

I have a dragon scale betta in my community tank with gourami, angel fish, tetras, and tiger barbs. They all do well together. The tiger barbs would chase the betta when I first put him in the tank but once they got used to each other, no problems.

I kept a female betta in with my mollies for awhile. I had no problems with nipping. The biggest issues I had was with feeding. Mollies are aggressive eaters. And my betta girl was very much not. I had to separate her every time to make sure she got her food without any of my others eating it. They didn't even like her food. They just wanted to eat it first. My male I wouldn't even try to put in a community tank. His tank is near one of my molly tanks and he flares every now and then at them just because he can.

In the community tank, though, look at where the other fish generally hang out. Cory cats tend to hang out on the bottom of the tank, while the betta will likely hang out at the top. Most tetras will hang out in the middle. So you'll get less nipping between them more likely.

I would probably avoid tiger barbs, since they tend to be nipping. And if you have a school they'll stick to picking on each other for the most part, but some betta fins make a very tempting target. (I know that even though my tiger barbs have a group, they get it in their minds to attack my one serpae with the best dorsal fin, just for fun.)

Snails, frogs, and certain shrimp might be good with the betta. And make sure the betta has an escape place like a hammock or a log.

+1 on the Corydoras catfish! They're adorable, peaceful bottom feeders who won't bother your betta at all. Most bettas do well with them because, as mimiheart mentioned, they hang out at the bottom of the tank. There are so many kinds, too! You can try googling them and see if you like any of the patterns. They are schooling fish, so aim to get at least five.
You mentioned you daughter liked fish with animal names... maybe show her Panda Cory cats! I have some, and I can honestly say they're my favorite fish. They're very pretty (they look like tiny panda bears!), have great personalities and I love watching their antics. They're always hovering around the bottom, making sure it is clean. Sometimes they play in the current of the filter outtake, race along the glass, or rest on the leaves of plants. I would really encourage you to look into them; I think you and your daughter would really enjoy them.
Edit: they should not be used as cycling fish, as they're a bit sensitive. They'd be better suited to an already cycled tank, so adding them after everything is stable is your best bet.

+1 on the Corydoras catfish! They're adorable, peaceful bottom feeders who won't bother your betta at all. Most bettas do well with them because, as mimiheart mentioned, they hang out at the bottom of the tank. There are so many kinds, too! You can try googling them and see if you like any of the patterns. They are schooling fish, so aim to get at least five.
You mentioned you daughter liked fish with animal names... maybe show her Panda Cory cats! I have some, and I can honestly say they're my favorite fish. They're very pretty (they look like tiny panda bears!), have great personalities and I love watching their antics. They're always hovering around the bottom, making sure it is clean. Sometimes they play in the current of the filter outtake, race along the glass, or rest on the leaves of plants. I would really encourage you to look into them; I think you and your daughter would really enjoy them.
Edit: they should not be used as cycling fish, as they're a bit sensitive. They'd be better suited to an already cycled tank, so adding them after everything is stable is your best bet.
Yes, coryadoras are hilarious to watch. Mine love the air bubbles. Swimming in the bubbles is their favorite game ever. And we mixed-and-matched colors for my school.

It could work but you should definitely put the peaceful fish in there first. Let them establish a territory and then put in the betta and I wold recommend slowly introducing him. Make sure there are plenty of places for the other fishes to hide. Avoid tetras as tetras are notorious fin nippers. And last it all depends on the betta. Some bettas are generally aggressive and can't be housed with other fish but some aren't.

Your betta will do fine with other peaceful fish the only catch is the tails if the fish has along or fancy tail your betta will go after it . I have 5 danios 2 otocinculas and 2 juli cory cats

Back
Top Bottom