Advice on my 10g tank fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenLyretail

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So Im new. I got a 10 gallon tank for Christmas and about 3 weeks ago I set it up. My first 3 fish were neon tetras from pet smart. They didn't survive :( My next 3 fish were mollies from petco (one golden panda and 2 black lyretails) and they are still alive and well. I recently added 3 yellow guppies and 2 Cory catfish (one albino and one julii) from pet smart. Both of the catfish died. The julii was floating around the tank doing barrel rolls and getting pushed around by the filter and every now and then flipping his tail. Eventually he just wound up laying on his side at the bottom. I knew he was sick, I think it was his swim bladder. Either way, I'm new so I don't have a quarantine tank, so I couldn't put him in there to prevent spreading disease. I was too late. It spread to the albino Cory cat and I found him on his side at the bottom of the tank the next morning. The three guppies and the three mollies are still alive and thriving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And I'd be glad to answer any questions. Oh yes, I'm running a penguin biowheel mini filter. I do have a water heater, and lid with LED.
Save
Save

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem may be that (I'm guessing) you didn't cycle your tank properly before adding fish. New tanks take quite awhile to cycle before you can safely add fish; usually 4-5 weeks, but can take up to a couple months in some cases. I believe there's a thread about proper cycling. Since your guppies and mollies are still alive, don't remove them now, but it would still be a good idea if you read up on cycling before you add any more fish.

Cycling is definitely a possibly but it also sounds like where you got the fish too. If I'm reading right, all of your fish from Petco have survived but most of your fish from PetSmart didn't. I had that same problem with the same companies. I'd look into it if I were you. I started watching and discovered the people at my local PetSmart weren't taking care of the fish in their tanks. They'd scoop fish out in nets and "thump" them with their fingers and thumbs to put them into bags for me to take home. Seemed like the fish were always stunned by the treatment. The people at Petco always use a container to capture their fish and gently put the fish and water into a bag. Takes a little more time, but I could tell they really cared about the fish in their store. Just an FYI for you to watch.

Cycling is definitely a possibly but it also sounds like where you got the fish too. If I'm reading right, all of your fish from Petco have survived but most of your fish from PetSmart didn't. I had that same problem with the same companies. I'd look into it if I were you. I started watching and discovered the people at my local PetSmart weren't taking care of the fish in their tanks. They'd scoop fish out in nets and "thump" them with their fingers and thumbs to put them into bags for me to take home. Seemed like the fish were always stunned by the treatment. The people at Petco always use a container to capture their fish and gently put the fish and water into a bag. Takes a little more time, but I could tell they really cared about the fish in their store. Just an FYI for you to watch.
I've noticed that as well. Problem is, the people at pet smart give a ton of advice bit don't care for their fish. When I went to Petco, the lady I talked to didn't provide any advice, was not enthusiastic about it at all.

The problem may be that (I'm guessing) you didn't cycle your tank properly before adding fish. New tanks take quite awhile to cycle before you can safely add fish; usually 4-5 weeks, but can take up to a couple months in some cases. I believe there's a thread about proper cycling. Since your guppies and mollies are still alive, don't remove them now, but it would still be a good idea if you read up on cycling before you add any more fish.
If it didn't fully cycle, is there a chance that the guppies and mollies could die?

Yep, I agree with what's been said already. Cycling a new tank is so important but I also avoid those stores for fish. PetCo and PetSmart both have serious issues. These problems seem to be nationwide but I have no doubt there are a few good stores somewhere because some people do care.
Say what you will about Walmart as this is a highly debatable recommendation for buying fish but in 6 years, every fish I ever bought at any Walmart on the east coast has survived and flourished except for a fancy guppy that didn't survive a 700 mile road trip and a pair of comets that got stuck between a rock and a hard place. So you can hardly blame Walmart for those. So I typically get fish at Walmart and Pet Supermarket. Overall, it's hit or miss.
Lots of luck to you and your future progress.

Yep, I agree with what's been said already. Cycling a new tank is so important but I also avoid those stores for fish. PetCo and PetSmart both have serious issues. These problems seem to be nationwide but I have no doubt there are a few good stores somewhere because some people do care.
Say what you will about Walmart as this is a highly debatable recommendation for buying fish but in 6 years, every fish I ever bought at any Walmart on the east coast has survived and flourished except for a fancy guppy that didn't survive a 700 mile road trip and a pair of comets that got stuck between a rock and a hard place. So you can hardly blame Walmart for those. So I typically get fish at Walmart and Pet Supermarket. Overall, it's hit or miss.
Lots of luck to you and your future progress.
Wait you can get fish at Walmart? Like a supermarket Walmart? (not a neighborhood Walmart)

Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Get an api fw master kit. Also only the guppies out of all the fish you mentioned are appropriate stock for a 10g.

Wait you can get fish at Walmart? Like a supermarket Walmart? (not a neighborhood Walmart)

Absolutely! All of the Super Walmart stores I have been to have a fish section near the dog/cat food. They are often looked down upon for the same reasons LFS are but once you are experienced, you can be a hero and 'rescue' these beautiful fish. You will hear that a lot too, how someone rescued fish. That's typically what they mean. I NEVER listen to a salesperson in chain pet stores, in fact, one girl asked me how big my tank was because I was buying 5 zebra danio, and I responded with, "How big my tank is isn't your business. You have a few dozen in a 7 gal tank right now". And I've had countless salespersons admit to me they know nothing about fish yet they work that section of the pet store. I do my own research and homework, and seek info from knowledgeable, experienced hobbyists. (y)

Absolutely! All of the Super Walmart stores I have been to have a fish section near the dog/cat food. They are often looked down upon for the same reasons LFS are but once you are experienced, you can be a hero and 'rescue' these beautiful fish. You will hear that a lot too, how someone rescued fish. That's typically what they mean. I NEVER listen to a salesperson in chain pet stores, in fact, one girl asked me how big my tank was because I was buying 5 zebra danio, and I responded with, "How big my tank is isn't your business. You have a few dozen in a 7 gal tank right now". And I've had countless salespersons admit to me they know nothing about fish yet they work that section of the pet store. I do my own research and homework, and seek info from knowledgeable, experienced hobbyists. (y)
OK. I will go to Walmart when adding new fish. When do you think I should add more fish?

I don't normally get fish from Walmart, but I was in need of a pleco and Walmart had a couple in their tanks that looked really healthy so I got one. He's still doing really good.

My walmart had the best looking female guppies but they've stopped carrying them :(

I've had decent luck from most of the chains, however I have That Fish Place in my area and they honestly have some of the worst stock which sucks because they have the most variety

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom