Advice on new 56 gallon community planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colorado

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I've learned a lot by lurking, but I'm ready to move from my little 10 gallon to a 56 gallon column tank I got off Craig's List. Before I even get to the fish I've got to get all the hardware straight. I'm planning on buying an Eheim 2217 and a Hydor 300 watt in-line heater. The current substrate choice is Caribsea's black eco-complete (probably around 130 pounds to get a 2.5" bed). I'm not sure what to do about lighting yet--I'm sure the stock hood that came with the tank won't be enough for most plants. Fish plan are a few small schools of neons, endlers, harlequins, and panda corys (7-10 each). Some red cherry shrimp and a few snails. Any suggestions?

So, is the filter enough or too much? I've wondered given the depth of the tank (24") if I need a more powerful filter or if I'll just blow the fish away.

thanks,

Nathan (Colorado)

I think your filter would be great. It comes with a spray bar. It may or may not be enough to circulate the lower depths of the tank; you'll just have to see. If not you could always add a powerhead.

Lighting will depend on what plants you have and given the depth of the tank it might be difficult getting enough light to the bottom for most plants with the stock lights. Below is a guide for the type of lights and how high the tank is; if you go with high light you'll need to supplment with fertilizers and possibly CO2 to mitigate algae. If you stay in the lower range, you should get by with low-light plants and possibly no or minimal fertilizers. The people over at the planted section of the forum can help you with more specific questions (my tank is pretty low-tech).

Your stock sounds great. I'm sure you know about cycling, etc, but if not, here's a guide that will help: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• LightIntensityTable.jpg
    LightIntensityTable.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 229
thanks for the reply. I've worried about the depth--a powerhead might do it, I just don't know much about them. Should I consider a bigger filter like a Fluval fx5?

I think the fx5 would be a little too much...it generates a ton of water movement

A Fluval FX5 is way too big, I run one on my 220g. I do have 2 55g tanks and run Fluval 406's on them, which is the perfect size. I like the canister filters because they give you alot of room to add various media materials anyway you want. The filter you first stated would be good also.

As for lighting I'd look into a 2 bulb T5HO fixture. There are many brands in a variety of price ranges. It will give good enough light to grow many plants. Also if you are wanting to do a good planted tank be sure to plant heavily and think about using fertilizers and either liquid carbon or CO2. You could have a very nice planted tank.

With that size tank why don't you make a nice community with different size, shape, and colored fish? You could do 2 angels, a nice honey gourami (also comes in sunset honey and golden honey color varieties), a school of cardinal or rummy nose tetra's, your cory cats, and a pair of Bolivian Rams. Although due to the angels you couldn't do shrimp.

If you want to do all little fish then go with 2-3 species with at least 10 per species and your cory cats plus shrimp. For snails in any tank look into nerites. They can't breed in freshwater so you won't get a population explosion.

Thanks for the ideas. I really like watching the shrimp so I guess the Angels are out--though they are so beautiful. I like the look of the Rams, but I thought they'd be too aggressive with the smaller fish. I don't have room for another tank if the fish get too rough. Other suggestions? I've thought about the Rummy-nosed. Maybe a bristlenose pleco? Are they hard to care for?

Too many choices!!

Most fish, especially Cichlids like Rams, Angels, etc, usually only get aggressive when mating (although they can fight each other if there are two males). You could do one Ram as a centerpiece although your shrimp will likely be lunch unless they have a lot of hiding places.

You have a 50/50 chance that a Ram will eat shrimp. They have small mouths so only very small baby shrimp would be targeted. I have 2 GBR, 2 Gold Rams, 2 Electric Blue Rams, and just added a pair of Bolivian Rams in my 220g. I also keep ghost shrimp, 50-75 (I can't tell how many) and once in a while I'll see a Ram trying to eat a tiny one but with all the plants in my tank the shrimp usually can just zip away from them. A Bolivian Ram male would be a better choice over a GBR as they are much hardier. Look into Honey Gourami's (sunset honey and golden honey are 2 other color varieties) or Dwarf Gourami's (males for bright colors). Honey's would be my first choice. They would make a good "bright" centerpiece fish. Most like they wouldn't mess with the baby shrimp. But if you want to keep shrimp you needs some dense plantings for them to be able to hide in. I would suggest getting a nice piece of driftwood and getting a good bunch of java moss to attach to it. Java moss once it grows out is a great place for baby shrimp to hide in. Also dense plants like water sprite are another good plant.

Thanks for asking. It's going well I think. I've got 4 Endlers, 5 Serpaes, 10 Neons, 2 Marigold Painted Swords (1m, 2f), a pair of GBR's, a clown Pleco, and a Bamboo Shrimp. Plantwise: rotala indica, moneywort, jungle val, an amazon sword that is going crazy, a C. wenditi, a couple of banana plants, some ludwigia, water spite, and some moss.

I need higher lighting I think, but overall, it looks good and the fish seem healthy--and the numbers are pretty steady.

I have the Eheim 2217 and added a decent size sponge filter in the back both to supplement the canister and as a short-term backup if there was a failure of the main. I figure it would both aerate some and have a decent colony of BB.

Thanks for asking. It's going well I think. I've got 4 Endlers, 5 Serpaes, 10 Neons, 2 Marigold Painted Swords (1m, 2f), a pair of GBR's, a clown Pleco, and a Bamboo Shrimp. Plantwise: rotala indica, moneywort, jungle val, an amazon sword that is going crazy, a C. wenditi, a couple of banana plants, some ludwigia, water spite, and some moss.

I need higher lighting I think, but overall, it looks good and the fish seem healthy--and the numbers are pretty steady.

I have the Eheim 2217 and added a decent size sponge filter in the back both to supplement the canister and as a short-term backup if there was a failure of the main. I figure it would both aerate some and have a decent colony of BB.

If your getting serpaes get atleast 6 to keep aggression in the school. I have 6 and they were fine with their tank mates until today.. Then thy started chasing and nipping at my molly and platies... They were smart enough to leave my rams alone thankfully... I would've hated to have seen what the rams would've done lol.

I was wondering in a person could add a small light double taped to the back of the tank glass at a 1/3 the way up from the bottom to get more light to the lower plants. I started wondering this from having several types floating plants and long leaved plants, covering the light on the top from coming through enough to the bottom. Or if that would work.

Since your tank is taller that is a concern. Also I wanted to get a column tank for my shrimp colony, if I happen to run across one. I think I will post the question!

Glad your tank is coming along, it is nice when that happens. I am setting up my 72G this week, been waiting FOREVER! Just a few fish to add after I get it up, I have almost everything I have been wanting. Almost, lol!

Back
Top Bottom