Advice on New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sulla

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I have finaly got done with the largest part of my 125 aquarium project and now I am trying to get it all setup and balanced just right.

DIY_BG_42.jpg

3 Canister Filters - Eheim 2229 - Proquatics Large - Magnum 350
2 BioWheels
2 96W PC Floresents with the good reflectors.
1 Low power cheap floresent full spectrum light
Tank is probobly about 90 gallons

At the moment I have 4 Electric Yellow Cichlids. They love the rock formations and are not to agrresive or bad about digging. Any way I am wondering about adding some plants. I have just plastic plants now and with those and low lights (most of the day) and an understocked and over filtered tank it normaly keeps good water conditions and low algae growth. Any way I am thinking of adding some plants possibly just low light plants (any recomendations) or just moving to a complete planted aquarium. So I have some questions....

Fitting with the plan of having a very low maintenance but attractive aquarium. Will a planted aquarium fit into that plan? If so what extra equipment would I need - CO2 Injection? What about just keeping the low light most of the day but adding some low light plants? Any way looking for good advice on the best way to go.

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Hi Sulla :) . I've been following your progress in the DIY section. Your tank is awesome. If you stick with plants like annubias, java fern, and crypts there is no need for massive lighting or CO2 injection

The more light you add, the more maintenance you add. If you peek at my 75 gallon tank...that has 3+wpg, and CO2 injection. I have to prune stem plants 2 times a week in that thing.

I'd say stick with a max of 1.5wpg, and do lots of crypts, anubias, java fern, giant java fern for taller stuff.

Most of the 'easy' medium light stem plants should survive that level of lighting as well. Rotala indica should be ok, probably moneywort too. For a carpet plant the crypts can work, or dwarf sage. will do ok in that light level too.

Back
Top Bottom