Advice on new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, that helps :) If you added seeded media the same time you added fish that's good. It's just possible the amount of media you added didn't have enough bacteria to hold the fish load you have now, hence the nitrites. Once the bacteria multiply to adjust to the fish load it should be fine. Just keep testing and doing water changes as needed until that happens. A week at most I would think.

I know of a CPD breeder that I got mine from, his CPDs are all tank raised so if you still want them I can give you his info. I have them with Corys too and yeah it can be a bit challenging to get food to them. Ember tetra are about the same size as CPDs and a bit quicker and more greedy when it comes to food so it's easier to feed them if you're looking for a small fish. I also have Spotted Blue Eye rainbowfish which are very pretty, peaceful fish that stay along the top mostly (although they do venture to other areas) and are easier to feed from the surface.

librarygirl said:
Thanks, that helps :) If you added seeded media the same time you added fish that's good. It's just possible the amount of media you added didn't have enough bacteria to hold the fish load you have now, hence the nitrites. Once the bacteria multiply to adjust to the fish load it should be fine. Just keep testing and doing water changes as needed until that happens. A week at most I would think.

I know of a CPD breeder that I got mine from, his CPDs are all tank raised so if you still want them I can give you his info. I have them with Corys too and yeah it can be a bit challenging to get food to them. Ember tetra are about the same size as CPDs and a bit quicker and more greedy when it comes to food so it's easier to feed them if you're looking for a small fish. I also have Spotted Blue Eye rainbowfish which are very pretty, peaceful fish that stay along the top mostly (although they do venture to other areas) and are easier to feed from the surface.

I think you're right about the media not having enough bacteria, it came out of a tank that is much smaller, has less fish in and the media i used had only been in for roughly a month or less. I tested again this morning after feeding, nitrite again showing a trace, however I'm going to leave the water change for now to see if it rises by this afternoon or evening and do a water change accordingly. I also added some more bottled bacteria (not that I'm sure it'd help but no harm trying lol) I've decided I won't add any more fish for at least 2 weeks after I'm showing 0 on nitrite again just to be safe.

In regards of the CPD breeder thank you but I'm actually in the UK so that could pose a problem lol :D I don't want any more tetra really, didn't really want any at all but I fell in love with the colouring on the lemons, they are beautiful :) I'll have a look at the blue eye rainbows and see if my lfs gets some in, the thread or feather fin rainbows caught my eye at the store too but I've heard of problems with feeding those also, and the dwarf neons I like but not sure if their larger size could cause an issue with the rest of my intended stock :/ again thanks for your advice and input it's very much appreciated :)

Good news! Tests this morning (tested twice to be sure) ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-10-20 :D didn't even do a water change yesterday lol. will still be keeping a close eye on it for a few days to a week but I think I'm there :)

Librarygirl in regards of your recommendation of the blue eye rainbowfish, were you referring to pseudomugil gertrudae or pseudomugil furcatus?

A great substrate is caribsea Instant Aquarium. I have used this on my first aquarium which is 30 gallons and I really believe it does what it says it does. No problems whatsoever. Google it and read all about it. I got mine from Drs. Foster and Smith.
Good Luck!!

So guys I have a new 180 litre (45gal roughly) juwel rio tank on its way :D I'll be doing a fishless cycle so I have plenty of time to choose and finalise a stock list. It'll be fresh water tropical and so far I've only really got my heart set on a small group of cories (not set on which type yet though!) I like the small colourful fish like endlers ect also but as my new LFS has such a huge selection of fish i'm spoilt for choice and I'd like some ideas/advice for the stocking for this tank. What do you guys think?
I'd also like it to be planted so any advice on best plants and substrate would be great! :)

A great substrate is caribsea Instant Aquarium. I used this to set up my first aquarium which is 30 gallons and have had no problems. I believe it does what it says it does.....I ordered mine from Drs. Foster and Smith. You can google it and read all about it. Good Luck!

So guys I have a new 180 litre (45gal roughly) juwel rio tank on its way :D I'll be doing a fishless cycle so I have plenty of time to choose and finalise a stock list. It'll be fresh water tropical and so far I've only really got my heart set on a small group of cories (not set on which type yet though!) I like the small colourful fish like endlers ect also but as my new LFS has such a huge selection of fish i'm spoilt for choice and I'd like some ideas/advice for the stocking for this tank. What do you guys think?
I'd also like it to be planted so any advice on best plants and substrate would be great! :)

I used caribsea Instant aquarium as my substrate----great product and I believe, does what it says it does....have had no problems with cycling etc....I ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith. Google it and read all about it. Good Luck!!

Rach88 said:
the thread or feather fin rainbows caught my eye at the store too but I've heard of problems with feeding those also, <snip>

I have Threadfin aka Featherfin Rainbows.
I've had no issues feeding mine. I have a heavily planted tank.

I feed mine crushed flake food, crumbled (by fingers) Hikari Micro Pellets, Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp,etc...

Mine are pigs. They live with CPDs, Corydoras habrosus, Otos, Shrimp and a Scarlet Badis. They are the BIG fish in the tank.

walmart walleen said:
I used caribsea Instant aquarium as my substrate----great product and I believe, does what it says it does....have had no problems with cycling etc....I ordered from Drs. Foster and Smith. Google it and read all about it. Good Luck!!

Thanks :) however I already have my substrate now, can't remember what it's called though :/

Coursair said:
I have Threadfin aka Featherfin Rainbows.
I've had no issues feeding mine. I have a heavily planted tank.

I feed mine crushed flake food, crumbled (by fingers) Hikari Micro Pellets, Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp,etc...

Mine are pigs. They live with CPDs, Corydoras habrosus, Otos, Shrimp and a Scarlet Badis. They are the BIG fish in the tank.

Thanks :D that rids me of my worries lol. Just to double check, they will be ok with my intended stock won't they?
Lemon tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Guppies
Panda corys

Currently my tank isn't heavily planted but that's what I'm aiming for, I'm guessing they prefer heavily planted tanks?

walmart walleen said:

No need to keep posting the same thing over and over and over again. I am sure the mods don't appriciate it very much! Just sayin

Good news! Tests this morning (tested twice to be sure) ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-10-20 :D didn't even do a water change yesterday lol. will still be keeping a close eye on it for a few days to a week but I think I'm there :)

Librarygirl in regards of your recommendation of the blue eye rainbowfish, were you referring to pseudomugil gertrudae or pseudomugil furcatus?

I have pseudomugil gertrudae.

Rach88 said:
Thanks :D that rids me of my worries lol. Just to double check, they will be ok with my intended stock won't they?
Lemon tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Guppies
Panda corys

Currently my tank isn't heavily planted but that's what I'm aiming for, I'm guessing they prefer heavily planted tanks?

Not sure. They might have trouble competing for food ???

My tank is all Nano fish.

Ok so I fell in love and purchased 6 of these guys on impulse today (ended up with 3 of each sex I believe)

image-353092414.jpg

They've settled in nicely and aren't hiding as much as I thought they might. However due to this impulse buy I've had to adjust my possible stock list. I'll be upping the CPD school to 10 and other tank mates will be
6 lemon tetras (already in tank)
6 Threadfin rainbows
6 male guppies
6 dwarf corys (may possibly re-think these again and skip corys all together)

My LFS are also looking to see if they can get blue eye rainbowfish after I enquired about them today (the guy serving me fell in love with them too lol)

Rach88 said:
Would I be able to have shrimp with the above list of fish, minus the corys?

The Lemon Tetras may hunt them ??

If you plant heavily and include some Java Moss the Shrimp may be ok.

Some fish will kill adults , some are only a danger to babies. I don't know about Lemons.

Coursair said:
The Lemon Tetras may hunt them ??

If you plant heavily and include some Java Moss the Shrimp may be ok.

Some fish will kill adults , some are only a danger to babies. I don't know about Lemons.

The guy at my LFS recommended Amano shrimp as I decided against getting corys, but also said the tetras may pose a problem. I'm not worried about babies but if they would hunt and kill the adults I definitely won't get them. Thought id ask here as some other sites say lemon tetras are ok with shrimp so thought I'd check other people's opinions. Tank isn't currently heavily planted so think I'll hold off on the shrimp at least for now. Shame though they would make a nice addition. Thanks for your reply :)

Rach88 said:
The guy at my LFS recommended Amano shrimp as I decided against getting corys, but also said the tetras may pose a problem. I'm not worried about babies but if they would hunt and kill the adults I definitely won't get them. Thought id ask here as some other sites say lemon tetras are ok with shrimp so thought I'd check other people's opinions. Tank isn't currently heavily planted so think I'll hold off on the shrimp at least for now. Shame though they would make a nice addition. Thanks for your reply :)

I think Lemons would be fine with Amanos. You can try Ghost Shrimp first as a test if you like, but my Amanos are fine with my Neons, Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras.

Coursair said:
I think Lemons would be fine with Amanos. You can try Ghost Shrimp first as a test if you like, but my Amanos are fine with my Neons, Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras.

My LFS doesn't stock ghost shrimp, just cherries and armanos. They said the cherries probably wouldn't last long with the tetras due to their colour. But I went to my LFS this morning and devised a plan with them. They're ordering me in some java moss and I'm going to get one of these:

View attachment 96276

For extra cover for the shrimp. I think the armanos will probably be fine, but as a back up plan the LFS said if I have any problems I can take either the shrimp or tetras back and they'll replace with an alternative of my choice free of charge (providing the price difference isn't over £5) so I'm going to give it two weeks as I added 4 more female CPD's today, then after the moss and tubes are in I'm going to pick up 5 armanos and see what happens :)

Back
Top Bottom