Advice on Stocking a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. The fun part. I set up this ten gallon about six month ago, to hold feeder fish for my frog. I rescued three goldfish that the owner was going to flush, and since they were small and I had nowhere else to put them, they've been living in the ten gallon for about five months. Now, I finally got a 20 gallon tank for them. Before you say anything, yes, i know this is too small (they are about 3 inches) but I only intend to keep them there until they get big enough so I can bring them back to the lfs. If I bring them now, they will be lunch, so I want to grow them an inch or two and then they'll have to sell them as "pond fish"

Ok...that is a roundabout way of saying I have a free ten gallon.

it is filtered with a small box of a type I don't know. I am adding a Whisper 10. So with those two filters, and a fully cycled tank, what should I add?

I want nothing that will have babies or outgrow the tank. I want to avoid Neons because I can never keep them alive. I already have the following in my 29 gallon community tank: gold barbs, black skirts, bloodfin tetras, and checkered barbs.

I am thinking a group of 5 or 6 male mollies? Or would there be too much aggression? Another one I'd love are tiger barbs, but i have a feeling its too small. Any ideas?

10 gallon too small for mollies..... how about some rainbows? or a school of embers?

you have a QT right?

I've run a bunch of fish through my 10G, and I would say the smaller the better. My cherry barbs probably did the best, they're small and don't move around a lot; danios worked ok in there too. These are egg-scatterers and not a threat to fill the tank rapidly. White clouds or rasboras would probably be ok, I haven't tried those yet. Anything bigger will need those two filters.

As for rainbows, I had some of my praecox rainbowfish in there, and they outgrew the tank pretty fast; they're not big, just move too fast.

yea those i wouldnt put in a 10. i was thinking more in the lines of pseudomugil gertrudae pseudomugil signifer which stay at about a inch or so.

I've got a 10 gallon with a crayfish in it. I love my crayfish, she's great fun. Very entertaining, and something different. You just have to make sure and get the kind that doesn't get past 5" or so.

Someone on another forum suggested glass fish. What do you think to that? Maybe three or four, and a few cherry barbs? Would that be ok? I just have to make sure that i can find the kind that aren't "painted" as too many of the lfs only sell them that way. I am pretty sure I can find them at this one small pet store I sometimes go to- they are pretty ethical, I've never seen a dyed fish there. But most stores don't sell them plain.

Anyway, what do you think?

Oh, and yes, i have a qt - another ten gallon

Almost allong the same lines as the notion of a crayfish tank... what about a shrimp tank. Shrimp have a small bio-load, so you could have lots of them in a 10g tank.

the cherry barbs will get along with most anything you put in the tank... I don't know about the glass fish, but info on the net seems to suggest they also have that quiet, no-fuss manner. The only thing I would add is, if you're adding a small schooling type of fish, to have enough of them so that they don't get nippy or paranoid and hide all day.

HooKoo mentions shrimp; I have red cherry shrimp in my 10G right now, along with a couple of kuhli loaches (who hide all day) and an adopted rainbow shark (who hides all day no matter what tank I put him in). The fish are bottom-feeders, so they don't bother the shrimp, and it works well for that size of tank. All with black moon sand and dark decor. So it's the moody/emo tank ;0 Find an idea or theme, and run with it... more fun that way.

Back
Top Bottom