Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

advice on Stocking my 40 galllon long

Hi I am planning on acquiring a 40g gallon long planted tank. I have done loads of research and fell in love with pictus catfish and rope fish. I have considered cichlids however a year ago a yellow lab killed all my fish. I would like to get at least 1 small schooling fish, 1; 4-5 inch fish and something to go at the top. So my stocking ideas are:
Pictus catfish
x2 - already have 2 they were the only ones left at the store

Ropefish
x1- depending how the tank is stocked i may get 2 but there expensive were i live
X1-African butterfly fish

Long finned Serpae tetra
X5-concerned they will nip the butter fly fishís fins can be changed

Rummy nose tetra
X5- instead of Serpaes but concerned Pictus and Rope will a snack out of them

Chocolate Gourami
X1 -not hell bent on this on

True Siamese algae eater
X1- already have one but i can give it away to make room

Yoyo loach
X1-Ii had 2 but one went missing and i never found it

Redline torpedo barbs
X4- there expensive where i live but concerned they are to fragile

Odesa barbs
X5-Instead of serapes

Pearl Gourami
X1

This list is still subject to change and obviously will not have all these fish but there are some which I really want to get thank you in advance for and thoughts and suggestions.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi, welcome - well, to get started, I do have the yoyo loaches and great fish. Dwarf loaches might be another if pressed on room. I've found they need at least 3 to be happy and will jump if tank not covered.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Ichthyophile

I have two thoughts. I strongly feel that virtually all fish are happier and healthier in groups, so I'd go for 2 gouramis of one species rather than two of different species. Same with ropefish and butterfly fish and the others.Second, 4-5 inch fish are too big for a 40 gallon tank. I've got a 90 gallon tank with a few 5 inch fish in it and that's about right but sometimes I think the tank could be larger.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice Delapool, I watched a video on them and they look so full of life. My only concern is if they can hold there own with the pictus and rope ?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks rlederer, I want to get more than 1 rope however i was concerned about space, didn't plan on get 2 butterfly fish I thought 1 would dominate the top unless they were opposite genders. So no SAE? Also which would be best the serpaes, rummy noses or odesas?

Tags
advice, long, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com