Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmallFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need some advice on tiger barbs I am hoping to put some in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. Is this Okey if so then advice would be great.

The 10 is likely too small ,but if you really want tigers AND only tigers then get as many as you can up to 10....
They are no good with other fish if they are not in schools over 10.
As for in your 10g they would have to be the only fish and you should try to see if maybe 6 would be enough to keep them from killing each other...
IMO tigers kept properly are not a beginner fish...

Ok thanks I was thinking just tiger barbs I just like how they look. How many in a 10 Gallon?

I need some advice on tiger barbs I am hoping to put some in a 10 gallon heavily planted tank. Is this Okey if so then advice would be great.

Personally I prefer Tiger Barbs in at least a 30g. They get hefty , 3" and are active swimmers. I don't recommend them for a 10g at all. They need large groups to disperse aggression.

There are only a few fish I will add to a 10g

Single Betta
Or

Celestial Pearl Danios

Or Micro Rasboras of other tiny Nano fish.
A Single school and maybe some Shrimp

Research before you buy.
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+993&pcatid=993

Personally I prefer Tiger Barbs in at least a 30g. They get hefty , 3" and are active swimmers. I don't recommend them for a 10g at all. They need large groups to disperse aggression.

Agreed. A small school of cherry barbs might be nice in that tank, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Cherry Barbs. Super hardy and peaceful.

I tried Cherry Barbs and was never very happy with them. The males chased the females constantly. The females were always trying to hide somewhere to get away from them. I kept hoping it would settle down but after a month I took them all back to the LFS.

Need preferably bigger group than four. Footprint too small for active fish like that.

My vote is still no. Its about quality of the fishes lives not just water quality

What about shrimp

Rcs will be the most user friendly shrimp. Ghosts will be cheaper. Ghosts obviously can be hard to see compared to rcs

Back
Top Bottom