Advise on Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok im a little confused!... I have been adding ammonia every 24 hours, The ammonia is removed within around 6 hours now. Will it get to a point were I add ammonia and there will be NO nitrites? Or do I add ammonia and then 24 hours later assuming there is zero ammonia and zero nitrites I'm done? (And if testing within this time I would see nitrites?)
Sorry, I know I should know this but Im really confused as to what point I am at!
Im under the impression if I can add ammonia and then 12hours later the ammonia and nitrites are zero its cycled right?

No problem! Dont worry about testing before the 24hr mark! All thats important is that amm & nitrite zero in a 24hr period of time- as long as they do, your cycled! The nitrite conversion when dosing with amm will not be instant. Your adding a huge amount of amm that will need to be processed. The first set of bacteria needs to convert the amm to nitrite before the second set of bacteria can go to work so theres a bit of lag time. This is why you may see nitrites if you test before the 24hr mark. Just keep in mind that when you are stocked with fish, the fish continually produce small amounts of amm (vs a huge dose) thats very quickly converted to nitrate so theres nothing to worry about! The huge doses of amm help to develop prolific amounts of good bacteria that are pretty much meant to handle whatever you throw at them. Does this help answer your question?

No problem! Dont worry about testing before the 24hr mark! All thats important is that amm & nitrite zero in a 24hr period of time- as long as they do, your cycled! The nitrite conversion when dosing with amm will not be instant. Your adding a huge amount of amm that will need to be processed. The first set of bacteria needs to convert the amm to nitrite before the second set of bacteria can go to work so theres a bit of lag time. This is why you may see nitrites if you test before the 24hr mark. Just keep in mind that when you are stocked with fish, the fish continually produce small amounts of amm (vs a huge dose) thats very quickly converted to nitrate so theres nothing to worry about! The huge doses of amm help to develop prolific amounts of good bacteria that are pretty much meant to handle whatever you throw at them. Does this help answer your question?

It does indeed, Thank you very very much. You have been a such a great help, I did think this but started to doubt my-self and questioned if I was getting the wrong end of the stick.
I will look to stock the tank shortly, If levels are 0 again tomorrow that will be the fourth day of zero values

Thanks again

I "think" I have made my mind up on stocking! Assuming this is not overloading:-

6 x Emperor Tetra @ 5cm = 30cm
2 x Corydoras Julii @ 5cm = 10cm
2 x Pygmy/Dwarf Corydoras @ 3cm = 6cm
6 x Harlequin Rasbora @ 4cm = 36cm
Total = 82cm

And then add in a Dwarf Gourami or whatever at a later date?
Removing the BN and add the nerite snail and more elbow grease!?

I "think" I have made my mind up on stocking! Assuming this is not overloading:-

6 x Emperor Tetra @ 5cm = 30cm
2 x Corydoras Julii @ 5cm = 10cm
2 x Pygmy/Dwarf Corydoras @ 3cm = 6cm
6 x Harlequin Rasbora @ 4cm = 36cm
Total = 82cm

And then add in a Dwarf Gourami or whatever at a later date?
Removing the BN and add the nerite snail and more elbow grease!?

There's some debate about whether different types of Corys will group together and whether this is healthy for them. I think they prefer a group of their own kind. Juli's are about the size of Sterbai's so they're the larger cory. Personally I'd keep your stock above but get 6 of either Dwarf, Pygmy or Panda. Nerite snails are cool, I have them too, but without algae they may not have much to eat right off. If you get Corys they like to eat from the bottom and will eat leftover food from your fish but I also supplement them with shrimp pellets and algae wafers (the snails may eat these too if they can get some before the fish eat them lol).

There's some debate about whether different types of Corys will group together and whether this is healthy for them. I think they prefer a group of their own kind. Juli's are about the size of Sterbai's so they're the larger cory. Personally I'd keep your stock above but get 6 of either Dwarf, Pygmy or Panda. Nerite snails are cool, I have them too, but without algae they may not have much to eat right off. If you get Corys they like to eat from the bottom and will eat leftover food from your fish but I also supplement them with shrimp pellets and algae wafers (the snails may eat these too if they can get some before the fish eat them lol).

Thanks again librarygirl I have a mixture of fish food available (flakes, flakes (spirulina, high protein with Vitamins A,D3,E,C,B1,B12 and K) and also bloodworm pellets) so hopefully will cover there dietary requirements?
I use also be ordered some form of calcium as I have seen this recommended?
I have placed my order and will see if they can change the Corys to be all Pygmy.
How about adding a Gourami (dwarf) would that overstock the tank?

Back
Top Bottom