Aeration for a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my aquarium completely set up, I was just wondering what kind of aeration is good for a 10g? I used to have, please forgive me.. I'm not up with the technical terms since I've been out of the habit for nearly two years, a bubble... wand maybe (looks more like a rod)? that was 8 inches I believe, but when I got my old fish stuff from my moms house and was going through it my son got ahold of it and broke it. The only other thing I had for aeration, I have no clue what it's called, it's not a bubble stone, it's a lot smaller, like maybe an inch long at the most and it's more cylinder shaped. I'm currently using it under a broken barrel decor piece I love, im attaching a picture, so that the bubbles come out from the 'holes' in the barrel. Is this enough or should I have more aeration than this?

Attachments

• image-1616675323.jpg
    image-1616675323.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 73
What kind of a filter are you running on the tank? Quite a few filters aerate the tank sufficiently themselves, so getting a bigger air stone or curtain would be unnecessary.

-bud

Well now I have a problem. I got my aquarium set up and left it to do its thing, and the filter I was given died... So I'll be getting a new filter. Is it a bad thing for the water to sit there with only the aeration for a day, day and a half at most? I'm doing a fish less cycle.

Mrs.h2012 said:
Well now I have a problem. I got my aquarium set up and left it to do its thing, and the filter I was given died... So I'll be getting a new filter. Is it a bad thing for the water to sit there with only the aeration for a day, day and a half at most? I'm doing a fish less cycle.

It should be alright just keep testing and doing water changes. If those are live plants they will help a bunch. The only thing is it won't build your filter the bacteria it needs so I would get one as soon as ya can. Just keep the bubbles going.

Looks like a nice tank I would like to see a full tank shot. ;)

I have a full tank shot I can attach! the plants I have in now are fake, I'm looking to get stuff little at a time, first and foremost is a filter right now since this one died. Im really wanting to get some live plants here soon, like by Wednesday at the latest.

Attachments

• image-1957815925.jpg
    image-1957815925.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 71
Don't throw out the old filter pads,floss or carbon and keep it wet. If it was me I would stick it all in the tank till you get the new filter then put it in the new one.

Mrs.h2012 said:
I have a full tank shot I can attach! the plants I have in now are fake, I'm looking to get stuff little at a time, first and foremost is a filter right now since this one died. Im really wanting to get some live plants here soon, like by Wednesday at the latest.

Lookin good :)

Mrs. H, have you tried taking out the filter cartridge, pouring out the water, and shaking it? My filter died within an hour of plugging it in. Apparently there were loose carbons stuck in the impeller housing and it got jammed. I shook out all the carbons, put the filter back in, plugged it in and it worked perfectly.

bud29 said:
Mrs. H, have you tried taking out the filter cartridge, pouring out the water, and shaking it? My filter died within an hour of plugging it in. Apparently there were loose carbons stuck in the impeller housing and it got jammed. I shook out all the carbons, put the filter back in, plugged it in and it worked perfectly.

+1 to taking it apart ( I always do) good thinking Bud

No I haven't tried that, I'll give it a try and see what that does.

Well I tried that and no luck, I guess I'll be buying a new filter. I did take the floss out and carbon cartridge and put it in the tank. Should be getting a new filter soon!

And I have a question, should I go and buy some ammonia from ace and add ammonia to kick of the cycling? I haven't done that yet.

I would add the ammonia after you get a filter running. One last thing, have you taken out the intake tube from the dead filter? Now that I think about it, I had to take out the intake tube and shake it too to get all the carbons out and get it working again.

I did that as well too and nothing :( I even took the intake tube apart and cleaned the inside as best I could too. I'm hopefully getting one tomorrow, Sunday at the latest.

Good news, my husband is getting me a filter tonight, I should have it installed in an hour! I think he wants to get this tank up and going as much as I do :)

And filter is now installed with the old carbon cartridge and floss that i left in the aquarium as recommended by member from here and working great! I've been stalking threads lately since I don't know much about the hobby like a lot of you here do, and I remember reading on some thread that some recommends not using the carbon cartridges at all and just use the floss. Or what do you guys recommend as far ad filter contents?

I just performed a pH test and still holding
Steady at 7.6. Filter has been running for almost an hour now. When should I do a PWC? Water is looking a little cloudy now.

Back
Top Bottom