African Butterfly Fish + Pygmy Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauroposeidon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would I have any issues housing an African butterfly fish with pygmy cories? I have a bristlenose and plans to get 15 pygmy cories, because I just have to have them. I know cories occasionally pop up to the surface, especially with no fish in the upper and mid levels. I'm worried they may get eaten. Who here keeps African butterfly fish?

Tank is heavily planted 20L.

15 cories is too many for a 20 gallon in my opinion. I have no experience with butterfly fish, but depending on the size of both, I would think they would be ok. They only get like 4" and I don't think it could eat them..never know though.

You should be fine, just maybe not so many pigmies. African Butterfly fish almost never leave the surface, so the only way the cories would get eaten (they r small enough) would be if they were swimming along they surface, which they don't do. For the ABF, make sure there is very little surface flow, floating plants, and occasional live food (they love crickets)

I was originally down for 10 pygmies when I was considering a single gourami/bolivian ram, but I decided I wanted something more unique and came across African butterfly fish. I figured with the mid and bottom levels freed up a little more, I could add another 5 cories. Space-wise, it seems good. Bio-wise, I'm not sure.

I forgot to mention the Aquaclear 30 (which pours out onto a piece of driftwood to reduce agitation). AqAdvisor seems to be fairly accurate, but I question whether some of the bigger waste producers, such as plecos and livebearers, have their bio loads factored in. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious. I like under stocking and over filtering. I'm also considering bumping up to an Aquaclear 40 if I decide to add another 5 pygmy cories.

image-3056461182.jpg

I forgot to mention the Aquaclear 30 (which pours out onto a piece of driftwood to reduce agitation). AqAdvisor seems to be fairly accurate, but I question whether some of the bigger waste producers, such as plecos and livebearers, have their bio loads factored in. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious. I like under stocking and over filtering. I'm also considering bumping up to an Aquaclear 40 if I decide to add another 5 pygmy cories.

View attachment 209053
im pretty sure it does take into account the bioloads, based on the results ive gotten when ive used it

Back
Top Bottom