African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savvi11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m looking for advice on owning an African Dwarf frog. What type of substrate is preferred? Possible tank mates?

I have 1 ADF in my 10gallon with 3 platies and a guppy. Other peaceful community fish would be a good match, what size tank are you looking to get? Be sure to avoid a tank that is too tall as they have to swim to the surface for air. I use gravel in my tank with no issues, I’ve heard to avoid anything small so they accidentally eat a piece of substrate and choke, I’ve never had experience with sand though. If you decide to include them in a community tank, I’d recommend feeding them their food (I use frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp) with a turkey baster because they are slow eaters and the other fish will eat all of it first and he could starve. Also, be sure you have a secure lid with no open areas, they can escape! I used to have 2... one was found on the floor all dried up after I noticed him missing for a while :( Good luck, I love the little guys, they are cute and fun to watch.

Thank you so much. I’m looking just to get a small 10 gallon my little sister is the one who wants one. I will guide her how to care and maintain the tank but I don’t want her to have something bigger than a 10 until she fully knows what she’s doing.

We have an African Dwarf frog in a community tank. He was in a small tank with a very small opening in the lid but we still found him on the floor about 12 feet from the tank. He survived(thankfully I found him before the cat or the dog). We bought a 37 gallon tank and moved him in with the fish. He has done well despite the size of the tank. I have read that they will eat other aquatic friends if they are small enough to fit in their mouth. None of our fish are. We feed the fish and frog frozen bloodworms every other day. We buy the package of frozen cubes. We take out a small amount of aquarium water and put the cube into that. When it is all thawed out, I use a turkey baster to put a good amount of the worms near the frog. The rest I squirt into the upper part of the tank. If you only have a few fish/frog you are feeding, just feed a small amount of the bloodworms, cover the container and store in the refrigerator until the next feeding. Fish love the bloodworms, but I think the experts advise feeding them as a "treat" for the fish. You will probably want to feed flakes at another feeding time.

I have a couple of frogs in my 55 gallon and have eco-complete for substrate.

Once a week I try and feed the frogs thawed blood worms but at times they simply are not hungry. When I feed my fish (every other day) I drop some frog pellets around the aquarium as well. Mostly, the fish eat them but the frogs obviously eat some as well.

The frogs love places to hide. Either under low hanging plants, squeezed into spaces between a pile of rocks, etc.. I'll go a week or longer at times without ever seeing the frogs.

The frogs are more active at night and I'll catch them on our fish cameras (the tank is not in my home).

They are great tank inhabitants and the kids enjoy watching them

I have 1 ADF in my 10gallon with 3 platies and a guppy. Other peaceful community fish would be a good match, what size tank are you looking to get? Be sure to avoid a tank that is too tall as they have to swim to the surface for air. I use gravel in my tank with no issues, I’ve heard to avoid anything small so they accidentally eat a piece of substrate and choke, I’ve never had experience with sand though. If you decide to include them in a community tank, I’d recommend feeding them their food (I use frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp) with a turkey baster because they are slow eaters and the other fish will eat all of it first and he could starve. Also, be sure you have a secure lid with no open areas, they can escape! I used to have 2... one was found on the floor all dried up after I noticed him missing for a while :( Good luck, I love the little guys, they are cute and fun to watch.

Would a 20 tall be to big for them?

Would a 20 tall be to big for them?

Our frog is in a 37 gallon tank and it is quite tall. I was a little worried about it but it has done just fine for over 4 months in it. This frog is resilient though! He got out of the 1.5 gallon tank. He fell/jumped about 3 feet off the table once out of the tank. Then I found him about 10 feet from the table covered in dog/cat hair and dust balls. I cleaned him up and put him back in the tank. He had found the tiny opening in the lid. Very lucky I found him before the dog or cat did!

Our frog is in a 37 gallon tank and it is quite tall. I was a little worried about it but it has done just fine for over 4 months in it. This frog is resilient though! He got out of the 1.5 gallon tank. He fell/jumped about 3 feet off the table once out of the tank. Then I found him about 10 feet from the table covered in dog/cat hair and dust balls. I cleaned him up and put him back in the tank. He had found the tiny opening in the lid. Very lucky I found him before the dog or cat did!

What a tough frog[emoji196],thanks for the advice, I have 4 frogs in my 10 gallon and wanted to upgrade them to my 20 tall so they have more room I’ll give it a try and keep an eye on them

I have nothing to add except that they are a fun addition to any tank.

I had two in a five gallon and they made me laugh at least once a night lol

I’m a proponent of an ADF only tank and suggest at least two frogs in the tank. They are social with each other but tend to be quite shy and often hide from any fish that might inhabit their tank. Also because they are slow eaters, they cannot compete with fish for their food. I never use pellets and offer brine shrimp on occasion. I feed frozen cubed bloodworms daily or every other day. I thaw them in a small dish with a bit of dechlorinated water, suck up a few with a pipette type syringe, and then feed each frog individually. It’s a good opportunity to interact with and observe each frog. Yes, I carefully wash and rinse my hands before and after. I use a gravel substrate but plan to change to sand which I’ve heard is preferred. I’ve also been told that 12 inches of water is optimum, and I have tall plants and a turtle dock in my tank. They are great fun to have.

I have 2 in my 5 gallon betta tank. I have to tweezer feed them live worms and its honestly a pita but the other half loves frogs..... though apparently doesnt love having to take care of them.

Theyre fragile creatures to so dont be to crazy if a couple tap out on you. Ive also found that its better to have at least 2 and as others stated make sure your lid is tight.

Ive had them get into the back of the tank in the built in filter compartment and its not easy to get them out. One I had was pretty smart and would get stuck there then wait for me to put my finger in so he could be put back in the front.

Back
Top Bottom