african dwarf frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dancersmama79

Aquarium Advice Freak
how hard are they to take care of and what do u need in the tank for them? can they live with bettas? would a 5 gal tank be big enough for one ADF and one betta??

Amphibian meds typically need to come from a vet.

ADF's are social critters and are best kept in groups of 3 or more. I would avoid keeping them with fish, since they are nearly blind and have a hard time competing for food with fish. While some have kept frogs and bettas together successfully, it's also not uncommon to find one has damaged or killed the other. I would also avoid keeping them in a tank with a HOB filter, as they can become stuck in the intake tube and drown.

A 5 gal tank is big enough for a betta OR big enough for a few frogs but not both.

I had African Dwarf Frogs, I would check with your Vet in regards to Water Changes and I was told the water needs to be spring Water not De-Chlorinated Tap. So the maintenance for each can be different and making things too complicated.

Last edited:
I've always used dechlorinated tap for them so that should be fine.

I've always used dechlorinated tap for them so that should be fine.

You're Lucky then....I must have an issue with my Muni Tap water....I used Tetra De-Chlorinated and let the water sit out. They only lasted a year.....I had my Dog in for a check up and Asked they said spring water on the water changes that even De-Chlorinated muni water after time stresses them. They got sick one by one a Week a part.....

What type of symptoms? I'm guessing it's more likely there were other causes that contributed, though I'm certainly not saying it isn't possible the water had something to do with it. A year isn't a terribly short lifespan. Sometimes they expire that soon, even with the best care possible.

dumb question here.... what is a HOB filter???? i have a regular aquarium filter that came with my tank when i bought it... it doesnt have a tube on the end of it....

They stopped eating (I fed them every 3rd day like clockwork) and basically floated around no movement at all then Upside down at the bottom the tank.
The Tank was well cycled, I always cleared up uneaten pellets. Did that one Water Change nothing different than the usual change. Then one by one stop eating 2 days later gone. I had Three in a Three Gallon tank all within a three week span. No Idea....none of the usual stuff you read about...oh well...Maybe they were old when i started hard to tell.

HOB = hang on back. The most common type of filter for small tanks, which pulls the water in through a tube but the rest of the filter is hanging on the back of the tank. A sponge filter is best for ADF's. I used HOB with frogs for a while and I did lose one to it, which was horrible.

Very interesting. I wonder if the water for that one paticular change was contaminated with something that got to them. It sounds pretty much like normal dropsy that they are prone to, but why they would all get it at the same time is a bit baffling. :(

There are..sponge filters are the most basic..they are driven with an air pump. Their are other power filters that work like HOB's that actually sit in the tank. Also canister filters, which are wonderful for larger tanks.

my filter is an internal filter that hangs on the side and the water goes in thru the bottom... sometimes my betta lays behind it or under it but never gets sucked up or anything i guess its not that powerful...i do have another filter in a 1 gal tank that currently has nothing in it but it has a tube at the bottom and u can see the bubbling water going through it and the bubbles at the top... its a tetra whisper...

No actually those are not. The tetra whisper is an internal filter, not HOB. The one in the one gallon has a plate with holes in it at the bottom, with a tube in the middle the airline goes in, with bubbles coming up that tube, correct? This is called an undergravel filter or UGF.

OK..you said your tetra whisper is internal and your description did seem to match that since the water does go in the bottom area of them. Tetra makes both internal and HOB style filters...so I only have your description to go on. If it's the type I described that sits behind the tank with an intake tube hanging over the edge and down into the tank, that's a HOB. If the entire filter is inside the tank and it is suctioned cupped to the side...that's iternal. They are just two different styles of power filters, the HOB is typically preferred because it frees up space inside the tank.

Maybe it's not an undergravel filter then. Like I said, if it has a plate with holes in it at the bottom of the tank. I was picturing one of those little Hawkeye 1 gal kits they sell at Walmart, since you said it had a bubbling tube. If it is, those systems are crap. You would want to chuck the plate and tube and attach the airline to a small sponge filter. All a tank that small is good for is shrimp though.

Back
Top Bottom