Aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! i have a 29 gallon tank with some plants and 1 cave and 1 good size chunk of driftwood, currently i have 3 platys and 4 WC minnows(getting rehomed to a cool water tank as they were miss labeled and i was misinformed) but none the less, i have 1 platy that is really just giving 1 of the other platys hell, the abused platys has a safe place to hide under the drift wood in my anubius meadow, however will adding like 2 more platys help the aggressive platy chill out or just add to the issue? the mean platy isnt messing with any of the other fish, just that one specific platy. suggestion?

Any idea what sex the bully and the victim are ? Sometimes an imbalance in the sex ratios can cause this type of behaviour. If it is sex ratio, you may have to trade for the right sexes to sort this out.

But some fish are just bullies, and can harass the other fish to death. Hope not.

If you can't tell the sexes apart, check here. http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/platy/61167-platies-male-female-ratio.html

Might have to remove the bully, perhaps. You might be able to return it later, after the other fish have sort of established themselves in their territories. Then the bully will be the intruder and less confident, with any luck. But you might also end up having to try and trade it for another platy.. the store might do that for you too.

But in the end, you want about one male to 3 females. Not to say females cannot be bullies but it is often a dominant male bullying a weaker one. Having the weaker one removed and replaced with a female may solve the problem nicely.

Any idea what sex the bully and the victim are ? Sometimes an imbalance in the sex ratios can cause this type of behaviour. If it is sex ratio, you may have to trade for the right sexes to sort this out.

But some fish are just bullies, and can harass the other fish to death. Hope not.

If you can't tell the sexes apart, check here. Platies And The Male To Female Ratio - Platy - 61167

Might have to remove the bully, perhaps. You might be able to return it later, after the other fish have sort of established themselves in their territories. Then the bully will be the intruder and less confident, with any luck. But you might also end up having to try and trade it for another platy.. the store might do that for you too.

But in the end, you want about one male to 3 females. Not to say females cannot be bullies but it is often a dominant male bullying a weaker one. Having the weaker one removed and replaced with a female may solve the problem nicely.

+1

Great advice!

If you can't tell the sexes apart, check here. Platies And The Male To Female Ratio - Platy - 61167

First, Thank you for taking the time to give a well informed response that answered my question 100% :thanks:. Second, i have 3 platys, to my best eye sight(which isnt great since im 25 going on 105) but seems to be i got 2 males and 1 female(which i asked for 1 male 2 females but no one is perfect) so with that said i have a 29 gallon tank, i only have the 3 platys and 4 minnows can i just add a few females(2-3) to adjust the issue? or does he just have to come out now?

The Abused platy has a spot it hides where the bully platy doesnt mess with it, so its not in immediate danger, but i dont want any fish to die, and living under a piece of driftwood in my tank is no life for that poor abused platy

First, Thank you for taking the time to give a well informed response that answered my question 100% :thanks:. Second, i have 3 platys, to my best eye sight(which isnt great since im 25 going on 105) but seems to be i got 2 males and 1 female(which i asked for 1 male 2 females but no one is perfect) so with that said i have a 29 gallon tank, i only have the 3 platys and 4 minnows can i just add a few females(2-3) to adjust the issue? or does he just have to come out now?

I think if you increase the female population you should be okay.

I think if you increase the female population you should be okay.

This is an incredibly stupid question but my platys are blue, if i increase the females do they have to be blue? or will any color work as long as they are mickey mouse platys?

This is an incredibly stupid question but my platys are blue, if i increase the females do they have to be blue? or will any color work as long as they are mickey mouse platys?

I don't think colors matter. I'm not overly familiar with plattys. I just know the females need to outnumber the males 1:3 at least.

I think they can be any color, because people have bred different types of platies, so it can be any color I think. Just make sure they are females, because the lfs employee probably won't know, so you need to know for yourself.

You are most welcome.

Any colour form, be it mickey mouse or not will work, but if they breed with each other, as they will, the babies may be an assortment of colours, or patterns or different from both parents.

Just so you are aware, in case you wanted babies of the same colour you have now.

They can even cross breed with sword fish, and you get a hybrid of the two, which might look like either or neither parent.

To everyone who gave me advice, Ty Ty Ty : ) I seriously appreciate it I'm going to get some females tonight 2-3 I've gotten pretty good and identifying platy parts now so I'll make sure they are females myself this time, but seriously thank you guys

To everyone who gave me advice, Ty Ty Ty : ) I seriously appreciate it I'm going to get some females tonight 2-3 I've gotten pretty good and identifying platy parts now so I'll make sure they are females myself this time, but seriously thank you guys

Your :welcome:, even though I didn't do much... :hide:

Added 3 sunburst female platys to the tank making it a 2 males and 4 females and the aggression between the 2 males has stopped, all 6 of them seem to be living in harmony. seriously as soon as i put the bag in the water to acclimate the new fish the aggression stopped and the abused male stopped hiding

(y)

Back
Top Bottom