Aggressive Bloodfins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
I have 3 bloodfin tetras and I was wondering if they would be aggressive? I just noticed today that two of my guppies have parts of their tail gone. It definitely wasn't like that before. Could it have been the bloodfin tetras?

Other fish:
9 Neons
1 Platy
2 Mollies
3 Green and gold cories
4 Guppies

Quite possibly. They are type of tetra that likes to nip fins, and guppies are a prime target for these fish.

I had guppies in with my Black Skirt Tetras and they got nipped to bits so the guppies are in a seperate tank now. They get on well with the mollies however.

they are aggressive, IME with them, i had 3 at first and was told that they like to be in schools of 6+... i had 9... and they TERRORIZED my julii cories, i will never add them again unless its a bloodfin tetra tank ONLY!!

What should I do? Like it's just going to get worse right? There hasn't been a problem with them until now. But my diamond guppy has even less of his tail :(

I gave the bloodfin tetras to the store. Why did this just happen now? Could it have been something else? Would the neons nip at their tails? Would the guppies be aggressive to each other?

EDIT: Do their tails grow back?

bloodfins are nippy from the start, i was told that larger schools will reduce it, but it didnt, they ganged up on the cories LOL

their fins will grow back over time, just keep the water clean

I have a feeling it wasn't the bloodfins though. Two ppl at the store told me they aren't really aggressive. And now my diamond guppy is hiding in the corner and my purple guppy's fin on top is all flared. He was chasing the other ones around.

Fin nippers like Bloodfins can be problematic for guppies (long fins and slow moving). I think you will need to keep them in different tanks.

I really think it's my purple guppy. His dorsal fin is all flared up and he was chasing two of my guppies. And now my diamond/blue one is on the ground with less than half a tail and dying I think :( What can I do? Would it be a good idea to isolate him? i.e put him in a bag and float him in the tank? I don't have any other aquariums.

Because I think the purple one is the culprit I have him in a bag right now.

So the purple guppy flared up all the time even in the bag. So he got taken back as well. Now there couldn't possibly be another fish that could attack the other guppies. Time to get my tank back up to capacity...

Back
Top Bottom