agressive platy- help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maryprincess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear All,

I have been the proud owner of a community (3 black neons, 3 black widows, 4 zebra danios and 3 platies) for 3 months now. 2 of the platies were introduced into the tank at the same time and were actually housed together at the pet shop. However, in the last few days, I have noticed that one of my platies 'disappeared', only to realise that it has been cowering inside a Castle ornament I have inside the tank. Whenever the poor thing emerges, it is shunted and chased by the other platy and goes back into hiding. I did not pay attention to gender when obtaining the platys as I was told that they are very peaceful fishes but if these 2 fish are male, are they competing for the affections of the other platy which might be female? Any suggestions on what I can do to minimise the aggression?

Many thanks in advance.

Take some pictures of them all so they can be sexed.. Show us your tank set up so we can see hiding places

Male platies aren't highly aggressive. I think the attacker is a male trying to get the female to mate.

hope this helps?

I have removed the most aggressive platy, put it in a bucket with DE chlorinator and some oxygen tablets where it will stay overnight before I reintroduce it back into the tank. I have noticed that the former victim of the aggressor is now bullying the other remaining platy that I think is a female- like there was some kind of pecking order... I'm starting to regret buying this beautiful species... so much for them being placid!!!

I have removed the most aggressive platy, put it in a bucket with DE chlorinator and some oxygen tablets where it will stay overnight before I reintroduce it back into the tank. I have noticed that the former victim of the aggressor is now bullying the other remaining platy that I think is a female- like there was some kind of pecking order... I'm starting to regret buying this beautiful species... so much for them being placid!!!

Do you know how to tell of it is female or male?
Male- long straight anal fin
Female- rounded crescent-like anal fin.
Can you just send a pic?

I will try to get a photo, please bear with me as the fish move very quickly and pics come out blurry. As such wanted to upload a video. Using your advice I have 2 males and female...

I will try to get a photo, please bear with me as the fish move very quickly and pics come out blurry. As such wanted to upload a video. Using your advice I have 2 males and female...

2 males and 1 female is not good at all. The ratio male to female should be 1:2 or else the males will fight.
I suggest getting 3 more females or removing one male and adding 1 female.

oh no.... I didn't know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So getting another female won't help as the ratio will only be 1:1? Should I try to get the store to swop one of my males for a female?

oh no.... I didn't know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So getting another female won't help as the ratio will only be 1:1? Should I try to get the store to swop one of my males for a female?

Yes, try asking the store to trade a male for a female. If you can't, your either gonna have to get 3 more females or allow them to keep fighting.

Back
Top Bottom