ahhhh fish poo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillygirl423

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so we added some new fish to our 55g and we have a lot of poo at the bottom of the tank. The bf suggests a loach, will they help with poo? We have a pleco.

How long has the tank been set up?
Has it been properly cycled?
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
What is your water change schedule (how often and how much)?

The best thing to do would be to do a water change and gravel vacuum the bottom of the tank to suck up that stuff. If left in there it can cause a lot of problems for your fish (ammonia spike, etc). Either you are overfeeding or/and you aren't changing water regularly enough. Both of these, again, can cause problems.

Tank has been set up for about 3 years, bf checked the ph this morning it was about 6 so he added some ph, I'm going to check the others tomorrow myself. We usually do a pwc every 3 to 4 weeks. We've only had the new fish about a week. We added 10 new fish. 3 platy 3 guppies 3 tetra and 1 something my bf bought he doesn't remember the name of (grrrr) but its small as well. I thought about doing a cleaning but I don't want to upset the new fish.

Best way to get rid of fish poo is to do more frequent cleanings, just gravel vac it up. Once a week gravel vac/water change makes a big difference, and the will fish appreciate the clean water.

Best of luck!

So first thing: clean the poo. Use a gravel cleaner and clean the gravel. No fish will eat another fish's poo (except tilapia)

Second: A stable pH is much healthier for the fish than one that keeps being adjusted by chemicals. The chemicals wear off and you will have spikes. Those spikes will stress and kill the fish.

What kind of pleco? If it's a common pleco it can get over 18 inches long. They are also poo machines. They produce lots of waste.

What other fish do you have besides the ones listed? If you truly have your hearts set on having an algae eating fish, try otos. They stay small, put out very little waste and are fun little guys. You can find them just about anywhere. Thye will get along fine with the fish you've mentioned so far.

One water change every few weeks is not enough. Your nitrates might also be very high which could stress the fish more (along with all the waste, etc that could be causing unhealthy conditions) than a water change. I would do at least a 50% water change every week. Your fish will appreciate the cleaner water.

We also have a silver dollar, a rosy barb, a shark and 2 cory cats, I think our tank has enough occupants so its sound like my best bet is to clean the gravel weekly, do I need to do weekly water changes with that as well? I wasn't happy with him when he told me he put chems in. Especially without checking the other levels. I figure waiting until tomorrow to check everything else will let the chemical settle in.

The shark and silver dollar could be problems.

Silver dollars can get 4 inches or larger depending on which species. They can also be very aggressive towards smaller fish.

Same with the shark. Most get large and mean.

Personally, I'd tell your boyfriend to research before he buys something or adds chemicals. Of course, I'm just that kind of person to say it like it is.

The silver dollar was my sisters he's about 4 years old so I didn't think he would get much bigger the shark hasn't ever bothered anything else in the tank and doesn't act aggressive, but I will definitely be keeping a good eye on him now. This is my first time with a tank and fish like this so I've been asking questions and doing a lot of research, I may just take the tank over from my bf lol

Back
Top Bottom