Ahhhh!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble_buddy12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my tank yesterday and I've put the fish in but I did already have a Garami in a small 4L tank for about 1 and a half years ... I've put the garami in with my new fish, (the store said they were compatible) but it seems to be attacking and chasing the other fish! Is this because it's territorial? WHAT DO I DO? PLEASE HELP! (I put the fish in about 1 hr ago, they do have plenty of weed to hide in the tank I have now is 34L or 8.5G)

:cry:

bubble_buddy12 said:
they do have plenty of weed to hide in the tank

I dont know what kind of fish you have besides the gourami, but I would have to say that this is your problem!!!

Ok Im joking..dont mean to make fun of your situation. Tell us a little more about the other fish first off. What is it that you put in the tank with the gourami? There might be a compatibility issue here. All LFS' arent exactly known for being correct about fish compatibility. Mine told me that tiger barbs would work fine with an angel fish. Boy did that turn out to be a tragic mess.

Is the tank the fish are in now new, or has it been set up and running for a while? I couldnt really determine that from your post. Lets start there and see where to go next.

I have 2 red dwarf garamis, 2 catfish (dont know what kind) and 2 zebra angelfish... Maybe if I leave it for a while it will calm down because I think it's not use to having more fish in the tank..

it's mainly attacking the red dwarf ones, maybe because they're largest and most visible, but the red dwarfs keep swimming away and kind of retalliating.. but its just the garami thats mkaing the fuss... it's quite a big one i think its a platiunum garami, its like a creamy white color and is 7cm long..

Hmm. The gouramis might be a bit territorial at this time. Most likely they are attracted to the long fins of the angels. But I would have to say that your fish store was innacurate in telling you these fish would work together. The angel fish are a cichlid and are somewhat aggressive. It seems more likely to me that the angel fish would attack your gourami, but some angels can be pushed around a little if they are smaller. That wont last though. One problem I foresee is, those angels could get up to 6 inches in size each, and they are going to quickly outgrow your 8 gallon tank. Same goes for the catfish, depending on the type. Most cats will grow quite large unless they are of a dwarf variety. The catfish should be able to live with either of the other fish, but the angels and gouramis might be a bad mix. If it is possible, you may want to check with your store and see if you cant trade the angels in for something else that will live more peacefully with your gouramis. Those angels really need a lot of room to swim. With the fish that you have right now, you should really have at least a 30 gallon tank but even then, youll more than likely have issues between the angels and gouramis.

I would probably remove the large gourami. They can be aggressive while the dwarf gouramis usually get along well in a community tank. Any aggressive fish isn't a good mix with angels either as they are very susceptible to fin nippers.

I see. I misunderstood...you were perfectly clear. In addition to the 2 red dwarf gourami you have another larger gourami. I think loganj is right...I would remove the larger gourami and put him back in his own tank if thats what hes used to. I would still try to do something with those angels though. Good luck to you.

the solo gourami is used to having the whole space to himself. eventually it'd learn to co-habitate, but it's likely it could kill the dwarfs before it calms down. And gouramis are bad fin nippers, shouldn't be kept with something like angels.

Back
Top Bottom