Aiming for certain ppm of Ammonia. But for the life of me can't tell the color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyCakes81

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of fishless cycling. Aiming for about 4ppm as per the stickie: The almost complete guide and FAQ to fishless cycling.

But can't really tell if its 2ppm or 4ppm.
Here is the picture of the chart with the vial:

ForumRunner_20130116_223511.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated, :-D
Patricia

You need to do it in a well lit room without the flash on. If you have fish in your tank you need to be doing water changes before something bad happens.

Looks about right to me. I feel for ya, sometimes I have the hardest time reading those test tubes. I have to take them into a whole other room in my house just to get the decent lighting needed to read them. Lol

If only them digital instruments didnt cost some much we could have a read out with numbers vs. the color. lol

What I did was with a gallon bucket dropped a few drops of ammonia to get different colors of green. I took the sample from the tank and others to get an idea where I was at. Once you do this a few times you will get an idea where you are at. Having 2 test tube of side by side makes it easy to pin point the color. I did it with 3 test tubes just to get an idea. Again when they are side by side it's easy to read where you are at IMHO

Last edited:
If only them digital instruments didnt cause some much we could have a read out with numbers vs. the color. lol

What I did was with a gallon bucket dropped a few drops of ammonia to get different colors of green. I took the sample from the tank and others to get an idea where I was at. Once you do this a few times you will get an idea where you are at. Having 2 test tube of side by side makes it easy to pin point the color. I did it with 3 test tubes just to get an idea. Again when they are side by side it's easy to read where you are at IMHO

Great idea to test to see ghe different shades.

Back
Top Bottom