Air Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitbull

Aquarium Advice Regular
Heyy,
So today I set up my 10 gallon tank with a filter, heater and thermometer.
Today is my first day of cycling and all the levels are fine.
I was thinking should i get an air pump for the bubbles do fish like them?
Are they important?
Or are they a waste of money?
Please can i have your views on air pumps.
Thank you :)

Here's a few pictures of my tank :)
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg

Your only going to get love em or hate em answers, but mine is hate Em. I think they take away from the natural feel I try to set up. They are generally louder than I would like and a waste of money IMO.

If you're going for a "natural look" I'd ditch the air pump.

Actually I can take em or leave me. I have one is a 10g with one fish and I used to keep it running in my 125g for the fish to play in but it was giving me air bubbles out my filter output so I turned it off.

It's not a necessary item, I just use em when the fish like to play in them. :)

Heyy,
So today I set up my 10 gallon tank with a filter, heater and thermometer.
Today is my first day of cycling and all the levels are fine.
I was thinking should i get an air pump for the bubbles do fish like them?
Are they important?
Or are they a waste of money?
Please can i have your views on air pumps.
Thank you :)

Here's a few pictures of my tank :)
View attachment 35521
View attachment 35522
View attachment 35523

I have one in a tank I'm cycling because it does help in moving it along.

That said in my 37g tall I have one, I like the look and my Moors love to "surf" the bubble stream and it helps equalize the water column with co2/o2, so yes they're cool. On my 8g Betta community tank I don't have one because I think they're a bit too much for a nano/pico tank, so no.

With your size tank, my suggestion would be a solid no.

Hmm, im going shopping thursday and im willing to pop into the aquarium shop. For my first fish should I get african cichlids ? My uncle has neon tetras and all other different types of fish like guppies but i think the cichlids are cool, would they be alright to be the first fish?

I like them. Most fish like them. They can also save yoru entire stock if the filter ever fails (which happens).

I like them. Most fish like them. They can also save yoru entire stock if the filter ever fails (which happens).
Thanks for your reply I think I will buy one. I think they look pretty cool aswell with the bubbles. Be more for me than the fish when i get them LOL!

Hmm, im going shopping thursday and im willing to pop into the aquarium shop. For my first fish should I get african cichlids ? My uncle has neon tetras and all other different types of fish like guppies but i think the cichlids are cool, would they be alright to be the first fish?

I'm afraid your tank is way to small house any african cichlids as these fish require a minimum of a 4ft tank. There are some very small shell dwellers you could house otherwise your stuck with small tropicals until you upgrade to a much larger tank.

I agree with hukit don't get cichlids that tank is too small for them unless you get shell dwellers which I doubt they sell in your LFS (local fish store) you need AT LEAST a 55 if your going to do cichlids.

Okay thanks for the great advice glad you told me about the cichlids. I'm going to this new aquarium shop on thursday i've never been there before so hopefully they have all different kinds of fish. And i'll note the fish I like and come back on here and tell you haha!
A lady from a shop said to look at your fish as if they were cm so for example a neon tetra can grow to 4cm, so i have a 48 litre tank so 48-4 is 44 so I would have 44 cm of fish left. Is that a good idea to do it like that to me I don't know what to make of it? :/ whats your views?

It doesn't have so much to do with size per gallon as what fish you have. A good thing to give you a rough idea is aqadvisor.com, also finding what fish you like and then coming back to ask us about them is a great idea.

Stocking has a lot more to do with your water changes than the tank's volume or length. There is an upper limit, but if you cankeep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm before a water change you are not overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom