Air pump advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vespagirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm going to begin to set up my 29 gal aquarium and was wondering about an air pump-is the bar type better and where to position it. I'm a newbie and want to do things as best I can so I don't have problems once tank is going. Thanks for any advice I can get! Will be freshwater if that makes a difference.

What do you mean bar type? Are you talking about a bubble wall?

There is no requirement to run an air pump in a tank, so only add one if you like the way it looks and don't mind the noise. If you do want one, whatever option you chose is fine.

Welcome to AA btw!

Usually if people get bar wands they put them as a background bubble wall. There are a few different sizes of wands. I know Wal-Mart has a AquaCulture wands that are pretty cheap and work better than the ones from PetSmart. They also have pumps that are cheaper too. I've had a Tetra pump from Wal-Mart for years on one of my tanks and it's been great. Just make sure you get one big enough so it pushes enough air.

Like Fort said, it's not necessary but if you want it go for it!

Using Airstones

Hi, I'm going to begin to set up my 29 gal aquarium and was wondering about an air pump-is the bar type better and where to position it. I'm a newbie and want to do things as best I can so I don't have problems once tank is going. Thanks for any advice I can get! Will be freshwater if that makes a difference.

Hello Ves...

If you're thinking of running an airstone, you really don't need one unless you like the bubbles. Airstones do little for the tank. If you want the airstone for getting oxygen into the tank water, then get a power filter with a gph (gallons per hour) rating about 6 times the volume of your tank. So, for a 29 gallon tank, you'll need a filter that moves about 180 gallons per hour or more. Hagen AquaClear has a good one that hangs on the back of the tank. Get an AC 50, that will be enough filtration for your tank and it will provide sufficient oxygen for the fish.

Save your money on the air pump and airstone.

B

Back
Top Bottom