Air Pump Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cneracker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I was wondering can you use the tetra whisper 150 air pump on a 29 gallon tank? I currently have a top fin 40 and it is sooooo loud. Do you have any suggestions as to what is much more quieter! Thank you!

You can use it. I bought an Aqua Culture from Walmart that was super quite and it worked great until I unplugged it doing a water change and it hasn't worked since. For 12 dollars it didn't even work 2 weeks. I am hoping that the next one lasts longer because it worked great and it was quite. It was for 20-60g

Hello C...

Just curious, why you need an air pump for your tank? Are you using an air stone?

B

You can use it. I bought an Aqua Culture from Walmart that was super quite and it worked great until I unplugged it doing a water change and it hasn't worked since. For 12 dollars it didn't even work 2 weeks. I am hoping that the next one lasts longer because it worked great and it was quite. It was for 20-60g

No matter what air pump you get I would highly suggest getting a check valve for just this reason. The water likely back siphoned into the pump from the tank shorting it out.

exactly...a check valve also acts as a silencer. Before going out and getting another air pump, I suggest checking your diaphram....if it is loose it can make a lot of noise. additionally, you can get some foam or rubber crutch tips. They act as sound isolators between your air pump and the surface you have it on. Finally, is the surface you have it on resonating? Check out these simple tricks...I use it all the time in home theater installations where the speakers or subwoofers are vibrating walls and floors.
Good luck!
D

Back
Top Bottom