Air pump question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julie0228

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got a small air pump for my 5.5 gallon and installed it with an air stone and everything. It seems to be making a lot of bubbles. Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH bubbles? If I decide to put a betta in my tank I don't want the current to be too much for it.
Here is a pic of the tank. It's still in the cycle phase so no fish yet. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413238731.394420.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would get a three way or gang valve. This way you can divert some of the air to the other outlets (aside from the outlet supplying air to the air stone).
I would think the filter would provide enough circulation/aeration in that tank for the betta. Air stone is fine as long as it does not create too much the current. Ah, thus the air control question. Got it.

Haha. Thank you. Instead of a betta I'm thinking of doing neon tetras. And maybe some ghost shrimp. Once the tank is cycled of course.

Cool. Not sure how many neons you can put in there. Good luck with this!

Not more than 5 for sure.

10 gallon is the recommended smallest tank size for neons... and if you went by the (very in accurate) 1"/gal rule of thumb, a 5 gallon tank really only has enough room for 2 neons since they can grow to 2" in size.

IHMO, a 5 gallon tank is better suited for a betta. Add some shrimp for some extra flare (they are usually fast enough to avoid getting eaten by the betta).

If you want less bubbles, you don't have to go as fancy as a gang value setup, there are simple inline control valves that you can also purchase.
You don't have to go as fancy as a t

Okay thanks for the advice. What about like 2-3 male guppies?

It would appear that guppies are worse. When I check them out at liveaquaria.com, they show all of their guppies as needing a 20 gallon tank minimum.

I've done 3 guppies in a 5 gallon tank before. The tank was way more dirtier looking and noticeably harder to maintain than when I had a betta with shrimp.

I keep my 4 guppies in a 5 gallon, they are doing fine, you just gotta keep up with the water changes

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom