Air pump requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aandvfarm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Building a tank rack with 4 20L on top and 2 40B and a 75 on bottom. Prob a total of 10-12 sponge filters. I need a pump that will run all these. I may canister the 75 but just in case. Also I know there's some science in the placement of the pump + depth and all that if anyone's got any ideas. The bottom row placement is 40. 75. 40

I would go with an Alita 15A.
The 6A would probably also be fine ,but for the price difference I would get the 15A for my $20
I have both and now the 15A runs 28 of my breeding /grow out tanks ,with the 6 A on 14 smaller tanks [10s and 5s]...

If you have room, I'd hook up a sump/wet-dry filter system that runs all the tanks. Only one filter to clean and they do a great job. I have two wet dry systems running six tanks each and they work great. Even though all the tanks share the water, I've had zero problems with disease spreading in the 5 years I've had this system. Need only one pump and one heater.

That can be an issue. I have separate tanks for discus which need higher temperatures, but most other fish are happy at the same temp. I spend an hour or so a week total cleaning 20 tanks because sumps make like so much easier.

Can you hook these pumps to a pvc loop? Or will I need to run air line hose everywhere? I guess it's not a big deal either way, prob be easier to hide the hose
I use a manifold at the pump and run hose to the rack where I have splitters to run 1 or 2 lines per tank.
I know others that run PVC and drop lines as needed.
I run sumps also but they will NEVER work for breeders or nurseries..Fry go to surface and will be drawn in..Now put your overflow behind a matten sponge and you will be king of the world!
Sponges rule when it comes to breeding.When my fry get to 20g they have an aquaclear 30 and sponge.The HOB grows as the gallons grow for me, but I still run a sponge in almost every tank.

I'm really in a mess. Lol. I've got 5 tanks scattered around my house, and am building the tank wall. But I didn't get a real game plan on what I'm trying to accomplish. More of a "field of dreams" situation...build it and they will come..haha. I'll more than likely change out fish here and there (raise one thing, then swap out for another) I really just like trying to get different things to breed successfully to watch fry grow. But anyways my point was, I don't remember what my point was.....just like talking about fish..lol

I had no plan either !
Now I have 42 breeding grow out tanks besides my 180 display tank.
The 180 has a sump running it and when I moved the sump to the basement[and drilled a hole in my living room floor for it ] that opened up the basement as future fish room [or 2..]
I ran the 6a for at least upto 20 tanks without problem.
Sponges work on all size fish tanks while that can not be said for all other filters.

I haven't changed what I breed ,I am still having fun with my GBR and EBR ,but I just added a tank here and added a tank there instead of changing when I found new interest...:brows:
Trying to find room for more as these fish just breed too easy for me !:nono:

I don't agree that sumps will never work for breeding. If you have valves on the intake and outflow you can slow down the flows and put a sponge filter over the outflow. I have bred several generations of angelfish and rainbows this way.

I guess my last reply didn't make it so I'll briefly reiterate. Sumps definitely can work in breeding and nursery tanks. If you have valves on the inflow and outflow pipes you can slow down the flow. Then put a sponge filter over the outflow. I've raised several generations of Angels and rainbows that way.

I yea I've seen setups like that on YouTube I think. I may link 2 tanks here and there together just to move fry or parents without acclimating if I need to. I've got 2 pair of angels and the better ones always eat there eggs after a few days so that would give me the ability to put them in the next tank to keep the eggs :). I have no plans to sump though, I can't afford pumps for the returns

Back
Top Bottom