Air stone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teagteag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering if air stone will help lower ph? Currently fish in cycling 125 gal. Freshwater Fluval x5 canister filter.

Started tank end of May. Added 12 fish (3 blue gourami, 3 dwarf gourami, 6 zebra danio) beginning of June. Have been testing daily. Test usually at 7.8 ph .5 ammonia 76 degrees.

Our water is hard, testing straight from tap is 8.8 ph and 2ppm ammonia (our water is treated with cloramine.).

Use prime with every water change have done 4 pwc (about 30 gallons each time) Used stability for first 7-8 days with fish in.

After water change (24 hours after) ammonia is at 2 ppm and ph at 8.8.

What should I do? Getting tired of tying to cycle. I planned on doing fish less cycle but owner at LFS said fish in would be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

you need to get some chempure or purigen in your filter , it should be cycled by now but you keep adding ammonia everytime you do a water change
using ro water to fill your tank would be a big help also
also make shore your not over feeding the fish
I never beleaved in fishless cycling a few cheap guppies or danios will do the job
every time you add more fish the bacteria have to catch up to the new load
so add a few fish at a time :fish2:

Fish In tank Cycling

Hello teag...

An airstone won't affect the pH of your tank water, it just mixes a little oxygen in the water. Driftwood will help as will peat moss. Peat moss is available at most landscaping places like Lowe's and Home Depot. Do your research to see how much is needed in your 125.

Cycling a tank with fish takes 3 to 4 small to medium sized, hardy, adult fish for every 10 gallons of water. You need a steady source of ammonia. If you don't have enough fish, their wastes are diluted in all the water.

Once you have enough fish in the tank, you test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you remove and replace one-quarter (25 percent) of the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

You just test daily and remove and replace the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no trace of either of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled.

Add some floating plants like Hornwort and Anacharis to help steady the water chemistry.

B

Thanks BBradbury Talked with guy at LFS. He said our tap comes out at 9 PH. Set me up with sachem buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom