air stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just read about these and they sound kind of neat. Are they for show or do they benefit the water conditions in any way? I was thinking of adding one to our 10 gallon aquarium.

I recommend one on every tank. They increase flow and surface agitation. They increase aeration (better exchange of CO2 and oxygen with the air). Many fish actually enjoy them. If for some reason your filter stops running (impeller jams up, other equipment failure) the air stone alone can save the entire stock of your tank. I have seen it happen multiple times. You can use a sponge filter instead of just an air stone you get more actual filtration.

Agreed! Never mind they look cool ... having some type of a backup for your filter is priceless. You can even find a nice ornament that includes an air-stone.
The trickiest part, if you choose to do so, is probably hiding the air-tube .. but the benefits are worth it.

If your talking about $$$, 20 - 30 bucks. I'm including the stone which is a few dollars really .... the tubing another few dollars depending on the type and length ... clear plastic (cheaper), black flexible (what I use) and the motor which is the most important part .. just have to find one for your size tank .. my motor allows you to run two completely separate lines, have one at each end of your tank!

Oooppss ... hit send the post button too quickly ... this may be one of those cases where Petsmart (where I got my stuff) / Petco may have the better prices.

You can get a large air pump online (eBay or drsfostersmith) for under $20. I prefer black air tubing (Petsmart isnow carrying a black silicone air tube). The airstones themselves are less than a dollar each.

I'd recommend against the long "bubble wands" that run the length of your tank, but airstones are great. The bubble wands inevitably clog in certain places and it completely ruins the effect when you have certain patches where it's not bubbling. You can clean them (I've heard to scrape with a razor blade), but when I had them years ago they were more trouble than they were worth.

The tubing is the worst part. Apparently it's impossible for companies to make suction cups that stick under water for more than 5 minutes, because my hand is in there every few days realigning the plastic tubing. They should make a magnetic system for holding the line in place, if they don't already.

My Danios and Otos love riding the bubbles up to the top of the tank.

I agree with eco23 on the tubing ... the suction cups are the worst ... they do not stick, and I only find them in clear plastic color. That's why I'm looking to eventually get a large enough plant in the corner where the tubing is to hide it.

The black silicon tubing fishguy2727 mentioned is what I use and with a black background .. it's a bit difficult to see from a distance .. of course those suction cups stick out like a sore thumb!!

Look out for air 'pads' too, basically a flat air-stone, mostly circular and anywhere between 2" - 4" dia. They are good for fitting flush to substrate (bury them in a bit) so you can put stones over them and get a spread effect. There's also the submersed 'micro-bubble' type which can have LED lighting if you want it. Hydor Air Pumps I'm sure you will have similar in US. Be aware these need to have their foam filter cleaned quite often, and they can be a bit noisey in an otherwise quiet room, but not too bad if ambient noise is medium.

Eheim sells pair of suction cups with various sized clips, one that fits air tubing. These are by far the best suction cups I have ever used. In addition, Zoo Med has a magnetic suction cup. It is a little expensive, but is another option.

I don't use suction cups on mine anymore. I zip tie them to small rocks to keep them in place.

My favorite air stone is the Rena Micro Bubbler (available in 2", 4", and 6" lengths, but they may have discontinued one of those). It comes with a very good suction cup and the bubbles are nice and small so they are better at aeration.

Fishguy2727 said:
Eheim sells pair of suction cups with various sized clips, one that fits air tubing. These are by far the best suction cups I have ever used. In addition, Zoo Med has a magnetic suction cup. It is a little expensive, but is another option.

I don't use suction cups on mine anymore. I zip tie them to small rocks to keep them in place.

I'm heading to Google shopping as we speak, lol.

I just bought an airstone... it says you soak the stone 1st..soak it in tank? or in tap water...??

I'm guessing aquarium water, at least that's what I did with mine. I hooked it up (but didn't start the air pump) and let it sit for a while in the tank and then started the air pump.

What i like to do with all the ornaments and etc. that are gonna in contact with aquarium water is to soak them in hot (just hot tap water) with high dose of salt to sterilize them! Just a precaution thing

What i like to do with all the ornaments and etc. that are gonna in contact with aquarium water is to soak them in hot (just hot tap water) with high dose of salt to sterilize them! Just a precaution thing

Thanks! I usually do rinse everything off in hot tap water; I did with the air stone as well but just didn't soak it in tap water, sorry for the confusion!

mollymama said:
Just read about these and they sound kind of neat. Are they for show or do they benefit the water conditions in any way? I was thinking of adding one to our 10 gallon aquarium.

Can they provide an additional benefit? Yes, they can, as they'll oxygenate the water through surface agitation.

Are they necessary? I don't believe so, no, and others on the forums share that opinion. Your filter typically creates enough surface agititation to oxygenate the water. I don't have air stones on either of my tanks (20g high, 10g), and my fish are perfectly fine.

It's likely not necessary, but up to you. ;)

im definitly going to get suction cups or something.. this free floating tube is just not cute!

Back
Top Bottom