algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some sort of algae in a 6 week old tank. Not sure where it came from or what I should really do about it. The research I have done tells me that it is possibly cyanobacteria. There is a patch on a rock and a patch in the sand. I tried to post a picture but it crashes every time.
Parameters are
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 - 10
46 gallon tank presently with 4 black molly's but I want to go get my pictus today to add. Will adding fish be a problem?
Thanks

OK I think adding fish would be fine. However, if you're adding a pictus, make sure its a larger specimen. Smaller ones need to be in groups of 3 or more. And give the pictus tons of space and hiding places!

Think I found a way to post a picture

If this works, this is my algae. So do I just dig it out? I don't want it to take over my tank.

Attachments

• 2012-07-24 08.57.14.jpg
    2012-07-24 08.57.14.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 83
So is there no cure? Is there a creature that will take care of it? Is it the bacteria kind? Or basic green algae that a pleco will eat? Should I give up on my aquarium dream already? Need some advice on what to do please. I am a newbie and don't like this look in my tank.

So sorry for the delayed reply.....don't give up up on aquariums just because of some algae! You could have a bristlenose pleco or possibly a rubberlip pleco. Don't know much about the rubberlip, but I have heard that the BN plecos don't eat very large amounts of algae to really help. I think if you use an algae clearing product such as algaefix it would take care of it. Also, try to keep sunlight out of the tank, as that really promotes algae growth.

Idea

Also I have read that turning out the light for an hour a day in the middle of the 8-12 hours of light disrupts the algae growth cycle. You can use a timer.

I would gently scoop out the algae with a big spoon trying not to miss any.

I scooped up all I could off of the sand and took out the 2 rocks that I found it on. I cleaned the rocks with peroxide and soaked in aquarium water to rinse off. We just replaced our fluorescent light with led and run it usually about 10 hours probably and the the blue light in the evening. I will get a timer and set it for mid day and we shall see what happens. I really don't want to use drugs if I don't have to since my cycle is so new.
Thanks for all the advice and I will keep checking to see if anyone else has some input. I will keep you updated. Thanks

Good luck!

Sometimes algae happens as a new tank stabilizes. It usually will go away.

Try keeping your lights on for around six hours or so... maybe less if you don't have live plants

That is cyanobacteria, commonly known as blue-green algae. IME the best way to remove it is to do a combination of a 2 day blackout, a large water change and a good substrate cleaning.

Do blue led lights feed it also? I have a bubble curtain that is blue led. Should I keep that off also?

I can, and I did. I was just curious for future reference if I leave it on at night would it contribute to the algae.

Back
Top Bottom