Algae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmoKun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In two weeks I have added 3 Seachem Flourish Tabs into the substrate and have added a few drops of Seachem Flourish into the water for my java fern twice. I have always had a thin layer of algae on the leaves but now I started noticing my anubias's leaves has grown into a dark green suade-like carpet. I'm doing something wrong. What can I do to get rid of the algae?

Hardware:
- 3 gallon community tank (1 molly, 1 flame gourami, all my tetras died in a span of a week) 1/3 water change every 1-2 weeks.
- Wave-point Mirco Sun 6,500 k Daylight High Output 16-Watt LED Fixture Lighting, 12-Inch (half covered because algae was growing)- approximately on for 5 hours
- Aqueon QuiteFlow Internal filter

16watt is way too powerful for your 3 gallon.

I had a 3w Cree LED on my 2gallon and it was burning my anubias.... Go figure.

Oh really? Does it matter if half of it is covered? :D

Would it be ok if I cut it off earlier? Although 5 hours is a bit short isn't it?

Unless you are putting your tank in a cave without any daylight, you tank is still getting light from the window.

I would put about 3-4watts of LED on 3 gallons of water with plants. So you are pretty much covering your whole LED bar...

Besides containing myself on the stocking of a 3 gallon tank I would say your light is a bit high powered for just a Java Fern.

If we still followed watts per gallon you would have shattered high lighting recommendations.

I would dim the light. Some lights have a dimmer or can be bought. Others you can do a DIY dimmer with like window tinting.

Here's a sheet I've been trying to spread around the forum and I use it for reference.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429352270.258244.jpg

If it is covering all your plants and stuff I'm going to guess it is BBA or GHA. Can we get a picture?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well... since nobody else is gonna say it i will.

A molly and gourami have no business being in a tank that small. The only fish i would recommend for a tank that size is a betta.

If the algae is a thick carpet, its likely cyanobacteria.

But really, to help with your problem we need more information.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and whats your water change schedule?

Well... since nobody else is gonna say it i will.

A molly and gourami have no business being in a tank that small. The only fish i would recommend for a tank that size is a betta.

If the algae is a thick carpet, its likely cyanobacteria.

But really, to help with your problem we need more information.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and whats your water change schedule?

I definitely saw it. Just tried to stay on topic as much as possible. Agreed with this comment though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I definitely saw it. Just tried to stay on topic as much as possible. Agreed with this comment though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It's still on topic. The overstocked nature of this tank is likely contributing to the algae bloom.

Is a molly and a gourami too much for a 3 gallon?

My ammonia and nitrite levels are good. It's probably my light. I will probably have to cover it some more. Thanks for all the advice. I thought maybe the liquid nutrient too much and causing the algae to grow. Maybe I'll turn off the light earlier and see if that will help.

Thanks again!!

The plants you have don't feed from their roots root tabs aren't doing anything. And your SERIOUSLY overstocked.

Put your setup in aqadvisor and see what is says....just saying, this is probably #1 in your algae issue. #2 lighting.

I would have at least a 20g for those fish. There is a very obvious reason as to why any tetra died in there.

Not judging, just not good for the fish.

29g Community

10g Betta

Oh really? The guy at the fish store told me to get the pellets. Hm... So just the liquid nutrients. Got it. I'll also try to put my light higher from the tank.

I seem to need a bigger tank then. I wanted to have a small community in my room.

Thanks for the advices. I feel like scrubbing everything! :D

You should stop listening to the fish store, a lot of their information is wrong. Instead, do some research online and with people who have more experience.

You should stop listening to the fish store, a lot of their information is wrong. Instead, do some research online and with people who have more experience.

Agreed. Most fish stores either don't care or don't know a sufficient amount of info.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes, I will. Seems as though I haven't had much good advices from them.

Back
Top Bottom