Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy fm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed this afternoon that I had algae in my filter. I rinsed off the plastic mat for the filter and changed my cartridge and now I have algae particles floating in the tank. I have two gallons of water on the counter waiting for for the chlorine to evaporate off ,so I can do a water change tomorrow. My tank is not close to a window,but I've been home daily this summer, so have been running a light about twelve hours a day. I'm back to work,so the light will be on about four hours a day.
Other than a water change what can I do about algae and is it dangerous to fish or just a nuisance?

Just a nuisance you can by algae eaters to help take care of it and if they aren't eating enough u can buy some algae wafers

Sounds like too much light. If you're only going to run the lights for 4 hours a day now, then you should notice the algae disappearing. I like algae, personally. People on here will tell you that it's the sign of a healthy tank. Just don't let it get out of control if that's not the look you're going for.

Ok. The tank smells and looks and feels healthy so glad to hear that the algae doesn't make it unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom