Algae control WITHOUT the help of critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
It seems everything I am reading these days says that algae-eating fish/snails, etc are pretty much a central element in the battle against algae. Any article on the type of fish I want to get (64L/17G tank) talk about putting something like otos in there for that very purpose.

That's all really nifty, BUT...what if I don't wanna add a second species to my tank???

Is it possible to keep algae in check WITHOUT the use of additional critters, catfish, or whatnot?? Or are they really and truly necessary?

What do you think?

:flowers:

There are ways. For instance if you keep the phosphate to an absolute minimum. The little bit that gets released by the fish the plants will compete for and thus keep algae low.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm sure there are ways to control algae without snails and other fish. Keeping lighting to 8 hour or less a day and as Epiphysis says control phosphates in the tank. Here is a Google search that might help you get some further info.

Phosphate levels are most often dictated by the levels found naturally in tap water sources. There's a lot more to algae control than just po4. In fact, dosing methods like e.i. work on the basis that there should always be a steady supply of macro and micronutrients, so this method wouldn't work if the concept of 'plant outcompeting/starving algae' were completely valid.
if the tank isn't planted then I'd probably manipulate the lighting so that algae isn't an issue.

whats your stock and whats your lighting? no use trying to fix algae if you ndont know what causes it

whats your stock and whats your lighting? no use trying to fix algae if you ndont know what causes it

I am still pre-cycling, just set up the tank, so no stock yet. Just trying to plan the future inhabitants so that I can aqua-scape appropriately!

Are you going to have live plants? They actually help keep the tank algae free by using up phosphates and nitrates.

Over feeding contributes to algae as well as the light cycle and old bulbs.

Are you going to have live plants? They actually help keep the tank algae free by using up phosphates and nitrates.

Over feeding contributes to algae as well as the light cycle and old bulbs.

Yes, will have lots of plants!

Keep up on your water changes and you shouldn't have a problem. The faster the plants grow the less likely you will have an algae problem.

Supposedly the type of fish food you use can play a part in the phosphates issue as well. From what I understand, some foods have higher phosphates as color enhancers for your fish. This supposedly can add extra phosphates to your tank, thus feeding algae. Mind you, I said supposedly. I remember reading a few articles that mentioned that a few years ago but I don't remember if there was actual science involved or if it was theory.

Also over feeding can impact water quality which can cause algae.

I tried to find my plant physiology text books, but its somewhere in a box and its Saturday so please forgive me. I'll try to explain this from the top of my head..

The standard set by authorities for phosphates in water for human consumption is <0.05ppm. This is for the USA and here in South Africa. Not sure about European and Asian standards but this might be as per WHO requirements. So tap water should not be a factor in algae growth.

In nature the limiting growth factor for vascular aquatic plants (ferns, swords, mosses..) is CO2. Plants need the carbon for structural purposes (leaves, stems, roots, flowers). But as the plant gets bigger structuraly, the need for photosynthesis increases and therefore other nutrients like phosphate.

Algae on the other hand is basically single cells sticking together and there is no need for the additional CO2 for structure. What algae do need is phosphate to keep up with its high photosynthesis rate. Therefore phosphate is the limiting factor for algae in nature.

So if you keep the phosphate levels down algae would be kept to a minimum as well. Do this by water changes and feeding correctly.
If you do run a CO2 system your plants will eventually need more phosphate. For this I would suggest the EI-method of fertilisation. A bit of google research should help you on that.

Hope this helps. This topic got me thinking again about my lectures back in the day, so thank you.

I tried to find my plant physiology text books, but its somewhere in a box and its Saturday so please forgive me. I'll try to explain this from the top of my head..

The standard set by authorities for phosphates in water for human consumption is <0.05ppm. This is for the USA and here in South Africa. Not sure about European and Asian standards but this might be as per WHO requirements. So tap water should not be a factor in algae growth.

In nature the limiting growth factor for vascular aquatic plants (ferns, swords, mosses..) is CO2. Plants need the carbon for structural purposes (leaves, stems, roots, flowers). But as the plant gets bigger structuraly, the need for photosynthesis increases and therefore other nutrients like phosphate.

Algae on the other hand is basically single cells sticking together and there is no need for the additional CO2 for structure. What algae do need is phosphate to keep up with its high photosynthesis rate. Therefore phosphate is the limiting factor for algae in nature.

So if you keep the phosphate levels down algae would be kept to a minimum as well. Do this by water changes and feeding correctly.
If you do run a CO2 system your plants will eventually need more phosphate. For this I would suggest the EI-method of fertilisation. A bit of google research should help you on that.

Hope this helps. This topic got me thinking again about my lectures back in the day, so thank you.

Wow, thanks for that. What a great explanation, very helpful!! :)

Recommended phosphate levels in a heavily planted tank is like 2 ppm if I remember correctly.

Two main bits for algae control: dont get too much light and don't overfeed. If you think you have too much light, you probably do.

The only acceptable reason to get any fish is because you like it. Getting it because you cant manage algae is a a sign if a poor aquarist. Kudos to the OP for not copping out.

Back
Top Bottom