Algae eater for hard/alkaline water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireWyrm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All

I have a new 120L tank just finished cycling (yes, it was fish-in, but heavily planted first) and is ready to stock. It is very heavily planted at the moment with a few more on the way later this week including some echinodorus tenellus which I am hoping will eventually carpet the bottom of the aquarium. I am using soil and pea-gravel as substrate and I will eventually have a community of small fish in the middle layer with perhaps a few feature fish like pearl gourami. At the moment, there are 6 assorted danio and a couple of Amano shrimp.

The problem is, we live in a very hard water area and the PH is often slightly above 7.4 (API isnt all that accurate in this test - could be 7.8). I prefer my biotopes to be as much in balance as possible so dont want to use chemicals.

Beside the Amano shrimps of which there will be another 4 at the end of the week (making 6) I want a few algae eaters. I know about Otocinclus but unfortunately, there are from the Amazon basin and require acidic water. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other goods algae eaters that will remain around 1-2 inches (plecs are out) that will work in hard/alkaline water and are likely to be available in the UK.

P.S anyone have any idea of potential 'feature fish' which would work in there too? Rams are acidic and ciclids are territorial, angels get too big and wrong PH....:banghead:

Golden or Chinese algae eater. They only reach 2 inches, but may go after sleeping fish.

31.7 US gallons or 26 imperial gallons.

Bumping...anyone else have any ideas?

31.7 US gallons or 26 imperial gallons.

Bumping...anyone else have any ideas?

I think a leopard ctenopoma might be a nice "oddball" fish. They get to around 5 inches but u have to make sure u don't have any small fish as they have MASSIVE mouths

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

For algae eaters, what about nerite snails? They prefer a high ph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Chinese and gold algae eaters both reach at least 10", with the gold reaching 12". Unless you want a huge fish that would possibly eat your other fish, leave those guys alone. I'd get a nice school of Cory's for the bottom, and as a centerpiece maybe an African Leaf Fish, they're cool predators but need live food at times.

Nils

Chinese and gold algae eaters both reach at least 10", with the gold reaching 12". Unless you want a huge fish that would possibly eat your other fish, leave those guys alone. I'd get a nice school of Cory's for the bottom, and as a centerpiece maybe an African Leaf Fish, they're cool predators but need live food at times.

Nils

I disagree with live food. I keep mine on a pellet and bloodworm diet and he's 5 inches!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

If you want a community tank I would avoid the lurking predatory fish like Leaf fish. That makes no sense to put a 5 inch fish in with small fish.

I've kept Otos in a variety of pH. The main thing is lots of live plants and a stable tank. Since you aren't trying to breed them, they should be fine.

Just be very picky when you are getting your Otos from the fish store, look at each and every one and make sure they have nice full stomachs and don't look sucked up. Drip acclimate them slowly and carefully.

Nerite snails are awesome as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do otos with that water. I have 4 in a pH of 7.4.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom