Algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tootiemac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all posting on behalf of my dad for this one ( I have several tanks but have never seen what I am asking below)

My dad's tanks has been up and running for over 3 months and fully cycled for almost 2. It's a 60L marina tank with a Hagen slim s15 filter.

He has in the past 2 months experienced a vast algae problem. It develops and covers the floor of the tank completely. He has twice completely vacuumed the stone and once removed and completely cleansed them.

The problem is so great that he cleaned it 2 nights ago and 1/4 of the tank is covered again.

At first I thought over feeding but he follows the 5 minute rule, so then I thought lighting and so we cut the number of hours the tank light is on for down to 7.

This has made no difference to the algae issue.

Does any one have any ideas how to remove this for good??

He has two otocinclus but they go no where near it, preferring to suck the glass instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407093854.113721.jpgthis is a small patch that has just appeared almost out of no where.

Having read up on Cyanobacteria I can see it's growth is spurred by light and I seen that one of the treatments is to switch off the light for 3 days.

The room the tank is in is quite a light room and light comes on for some night time hours.

He can switch the light off but how do u stop the natural light, cover the tank with a sheet??

View attachment 245490this is a small patch that has just appeared almost out of no where.

Having read up on Cyanobacteria I can see it's growth is spurred by light and I seen that one of the treatments is to switch off the light for 3 days.

The room the tank is in is quite a light room and light comes on for some night time hours.

He can switch the light off but how do u stop the natural light, cover the tank with a sheet??

I would use something heavier than a sheet. maybe a blanket or cardboard taped to the side.

Thanks Mebbid you've been so very helpful, we have a plan of action now, water change and cleanse tomorrow and then it's light out for 3 day. Let's hope that solves most of the issues.

Do u think it might be an idea to wash the cartridges that are in the filter to remove any remnants of the algae from there??

Thanks Mebbid you've been so very helpful, we have a plan of action now, water change and cleanse tomorrow and then it's light out for 3 day. Let's hope that solves most of the issues.

Do u think it might be an idea to wash the cartridges that are in the filter to remove any remnants of the algae from there??

Wouldn't hurt to wash them in the water change water.

After the lights out for 3 days, I would turn the light on in increments. Maybe 4 hours a day for a bit and then go to 6 and then 8. This is just my opinion. Since going from a completely dark tank to lights on for 8 hours could just start another algea bloom!

Ah good idea SFAquariums1 I will mention that to him as it does make a great deal of sense. It is a very light/ bright room so maybe best to just stick to natural light for a few days and then increment from there.

No problem! To this day I have my lights come on 7am-11 and again from 6-10pm. I've never had a major light related algea problem since I started doing that! Some of it may come down to luck, but still :) glad I could help

Back
Top Bottom