Algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 28g aquarium coffee table with water filter bubbler heater and a light source from bottom and glass gravel.
I have 5 platy fish 4 black neon tetra
Week 2 of tank setup
Today for the first time got ammonia0.25 so did 20% water change rest all 0
But i started noticing some algae at the bottom. Only on top of where light is.
What is the cause of algae?should i introduce ottos?
ALso how much light does fish need

Ottos seem to do better in a well-established tank, so I would wait several weeks before adding them. You may want to try snails in the mean time. Nerite snails are proficient algae eaters, and won't fill your tank with baby snails, as they need marine conditions for their eggs to hatch.
If your tank gets any natural sunlight, or you have a full-spectrum light source on your tank, algae may continue to be a problem, however.

+1 on the nerite snails. Very colorful in the tank too. Many different bright colors and really go after the algae. Only downside is if you get a male and female they lay little white eggs everywhere that will not hatch unless you have brackish water. If you have a planted aquarium, Seachem Excel also knocks out the algae (positive side effect of the fertilizer).

Need to ID algae and fix source. Your the best clean up crew. Youll keep having issues till you fix the issue.

I agree
How do I know what the issue is? There is no direct light
Although if i open the blinds the room is pretty well lit
The light source under the aquarium table is on for 12hrs per day
This is green algae that i had to scrape off from the bottom of te tank
There is an ornament that is above the light and the glass gravel. I saw algae primarily in that area. Currently ammonia is 0.2 ppm in the tank
I am doing water changes

Need specs, filter, flora , fauna, light type , dose schedule, parameters. A picture would help

Arg...

Feeding flaked food high in phosphate and small, infrequent water changes is a good environment for most forms of algae. Check the flakes you're feeding and look for low phosphate foods. Larger, more frequent water changes will remove excess nutrients and slow the growth of algae. Tanks need most of the water removed and replaced weekly to remove dissolved waste material and this includes uneaten food that dissolves in the tank water.

B

28gallon tank
No live plants
Aqueon filter
Flake food says 1% phosphate also shrimp food says 0.9% not sure if this is considered high
I did a 30% water change again today m
I feed once a day a pinch of flake food for all 9 fish
Should i do alternate day feeding
Platya leaves a long poop trail

What light do you have and how long do you run it. Parameters ? Pic of algae?

The kught came with the tank
Its like a tube light
I run it 10-12 hours
I cleaned/scraped the algae so do not have a pic of it

Back
Top Bottom