Algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JadeandScott

Aquarium Advice Activist
We added a plant a few week ago and since then the tank has totally changed.
We have some white rocks in there that are all coloured brown/green. We don't know how to get rid of it, it's on the glass too. The molly we have keeps sucking the stuff on the rocks.Also the snails, that have hitchhiked in to the tank on the plant are taking over there's now about 6-7 of them, how do we get rid of them?

Algae Problem

We added a plant a few week ago and since then the tank has totally changed.
We have some white rocks in there that are all coloured brown/green. We don't know how to get rid of it, it's on the glass too. The molly we have keeps sucking the stuff on the rocks.Also the snails, that have hitchhiked in to the tank on the plant are taking over there's now about 6-7 of them, how do we get rid of them?

Hello J & S...

If your tank hasn't been running long, then there's a time needed for the water chemistry to settle, so be patient. Set up and follow a sound tank management routine that includes large, weekly water changes. Algae is a good thing, really. It means you have a healthy tank. For right now, just scrape it from the front glass, so you can see the fish. Algae is a good fish food supplement.

You must have extra nutrients dissolved in the tank water. Algae likes that. Their favorite food is phosphate. That nutrient is in commercial plant and fish food. The water changes will help keep the water clear of extra nutrients and algae under control.

Snails, in small numbers, are good algae eaters and clean up decaying plant and fish material. If you don't overfeed, then the snail population won't get too large. I generally feed my fish two to three times a week. They don't get that much food in nature, so it's best to feed just a little.

Keep pluggin'.

B

bbradbury said it's not a bad thing, it's actually good. Though some find it unsightly. You can buy algae clothes or scrapers and use those to clean the glass.

I wipe my glass down weekly as it builds up pretty quick if left alone. I personally let it have at it on the decor but you can take this and take an algae cloth and give them a wipe off in old tank water while cleaning your tank if it really bugs you. My fish enjoy eating it and it's a great source of plant matter.

Make sure you aren't getting too much sunlight on the tank and as bbradbury said there is an adjustment period.

Depending on what type of snails you have there are different options. Some have visible eggs and people just fish them out as population control.

Back
Top Bottom