Algae problem in a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99RedSi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All -

I have a 10g tank with an algae problem. I've had the problem for awhile and it goes away when I leave the lights off ALL the time but then I can't enjoy it!

Nitrates: 10mg/l

The tank has been setup since Oct 2004 with 4 Pygmy Cories. I added 6 Panda Cories to max out the tank on Friday afternoon (last week). I then changed the digital timer on Sunday afternoon to turn the lights on from 9-4 every day. I also bought 2 Anacharis plants that day to help absorb the nutrients. They are currently floating on the surface and will remain that way as I do not want to plant them.

So it's day 2 with the changes and I'm getting brown "diatom" (is that correct?) algae in a somewhat significant amount (but I wouldn't call it "out of control" just yet). It's on the ornaments and on the walls of the glass.

I can't turn the lights down without affecting the plant. Does Anacharis need 8 hours of sunlight per day to maximize it's "nutrient sucking" behavior? If not, I can turn it down to the minimum. But I've done this before (when I didn't have the plant) and only turning the light off COMPLETELY causes the algae not to grow.

What should I do? I'm down to 3 pygmy cory's now.. should I just go out and buy a single Otto to keep it clean and live with it? I'd like to beat this stuff at its own game..

Back
Top Bottom