Alkalinity An Issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently purchased a 60 gallon tank and got all the sand, water, and chemicals put in. I tested the water about a week after set up and the pH and alkalinity were both a little low; nothing major. I added a pH booster and it helped balance that, but my alkalinity is still a little low.

I currently have no fish in the tank and just did a 25% water change yesterday(3 weeks after initial set up) and added bacteria supplement again(All new water treated prior to putting in tank). I was not sure if it might be low due to having no fish so there is no real habitat set up or if I might have done something incorrectly? The only thing the local pet store told me was that it might be my sand since I used play sand(Prefer the look of it) for the base. It was all rinsed and cleaned prior to putting in the tank, but that was the only thing they could think of.

I am using a Penguin Biowheel 350b for my filtration, so I don't believe that is a problem. Other than that I have a Top Fin heater(300 watt), and 2 small anacharis plants. I do not know if alkalinity has any effect on fish since I am brand new to this hobby, but I want to make sure I don't doom a fish before it even have a chance of adapting! Thanks in advance for your help!

Water Chemistry

Hello TX...

Unless you plan to keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to worry about the tap water pH, hardness or any of that. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. All you need to do is treat the water for ammonia, chlorine and chloramine.

Get some hardy fish into that tank, so you can enjoy the tank right away. I used feeder Guppies to cycle my 55 G and the fish were fine. You can also use Danios, Platys and Barbs. All are hardy fish that will easily survive the "fish in" cycling process.

If you need any help, just let someone here know.

B

Thank you very much! My wife and I are both trying to be cautious with this as it is a new hobby for us as well as a gift for or kids. We were thinking of using a couple Molly's for our cycling process since we heard they are also pretty hardy!

Mollies

Thank you very much! My wife and I are both trying to be cautious with this as it is a new hobby for us as well as a gift for or kids. We were thinking of using a couple Molly's for our cycling process since we heard they are also pretty hardy!

Hello again TX...

I don't know where you got the word on Mollies being hardy. They're very sensative to changes in water chemistry which is definitely going to happen when you cycle a tank. Mollies are the least hardy of the "Livebearers". If you prefer fish that give birth to live young, then stick with Guppies or Platys. These will survive your "learning curve".

B

Back
Top Bottom