All change....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
The wife has decided that I have to get rid of my 33g tank :( and I can only keep my 17g. Apparent this is more 'fashionsble' for the new kitchen we are having. I now have to decide which fish to keep and which to rehome. So here's the total stock of both tanks.

2 yoyo loaches
1 female platy
1 male guppy, 2 female guppy
Male and female blue dwarf gourami
5 harlequin rasbora
5 cardinal tetra
5 glowlight tetra
4 otos
2 Pygmy cory
1 bleeding heart tetra (impulse buy)
1 golden apple snail
8 shrimp

So stocking advice please out of the above to put into my 17g. The rest will have to go...incidentally I will use the filter from the 33g in the 17g so loads of filtration.

richardh said:
The wife has decided that I have to get rid of my 33g tank :( and I can only keep my 17g. Apparent this is more 'fashionsble' for the new kitchen we are having. I now have to decide which fish to keep and which to rehome. So here's the total stock of both tanks.

2 yoyo loaches
1 female platy
5 harlequin rasbora
5 cardinal tetra
5 glowlight tetra
4 otos
2 Pygmy cory
1 golden apple snail
8 shrimp

So stocking advice please out of the above to put into my 17g. The rest will have to go...incidentally I will use the filter from the 33g in the 17g so loads of filtration.

What? Aw man! Thats lame, ok heres what i'd do.

1 dwarf gourami
5 glowlights
5 cardinals
2 otos
2 pygmy corys
1 apple snail
8 shrimp

Then i would add several more cirys to get at least 4-5.

I assume that you love all of your fish, and hate to see them go. Thats why i would probably overstock, but do 50% PWC's twice a week

I'd say keep the tanks and rehome the wife:D! See how she fashions that.

BTW ... Keep the tetras, Cory's, h- rasboras, shrimp.

richardh said:

2 yoyo loaches
1 female platy
5 harlequin rasbora
5 cardinal tetra
5 glowlight tetra
4 otos
2 Pygmy cory
1 golden apple snail
8 shrimp

Wow that sucks!!
What I'd do is
2 of the 5 schools
The shrimp
The snail
The Ottos
The guppies or platy or one of the gouramis
A big overstocked but I'm sure you can handle that.

If it was me, would keep the cories, harlies, cards, dg, shrimp, snail, and otos. But, they are pretty cool species, so I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them. Sorry. :(

jcolon said:
I'd say keep the tanks and rehome the wife:D! See how she fashions that.

Yes, I've looked into that option, but rehoming the fish is much cheaper! ;)

Its sad because they all bring a little something, and I don't want to part with any :(

I simply cannot bare to get rid of the male blue dwarf gourami. He's just starting to show his colours beautifully....so that's a tick

The guppys can go....even the 2 pregnant females :(

Harlequins seem far to active for the smaller tank.....so they should go

Platy has been with me since day one, so have to keep him.

Yoyo loaches belong in a bigger tank....so they must go. :( love those little guys :(

Bleeding heart will terrorise the 17g...gone

So, that leaves me with:

1 male gourami
5 cardinals
5 glowlights
4 otos
1 platy
2 Pygmy cory
Snails, shrimp etc

The filter will handle it because it's designed for a 40g, but I don't really want to be changing water everyday! 50% once a week is reasonable.

Still seems a tad overstocked to me for a 17g. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom