All The Help/Advice I Can Get!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King_Corral

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright ive got a 55gal hex tank(22x22x27) its set up now but im wanting to do..
3-6 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's
2 Midnight Blue/Snow White(1each)
2-3 Pleco A Bright Yellow, Albino.
does that work?

I have a filter unsure of size and all that double sided.. a heater unknown as well.. a under gravel filter unknown.. then.. ive got some fake plants, plastic fish tank decor, black/white gravel.

Welcome to AA :) IMO, that tank is too small for jd's. If it was a 4' tank, it would be much better suited for them, but where its not even 2' long, there is not much room for them in there. JMO

You will be over your bioload. For a hex there is less gas exchange since the surface is small. The dempseys get 10 inches so the fish will be swimming in circles. What type of pleco are you thinking about?

Have you set up your tank yet? The UG filters aren't the best, I have the same size tank you have I have a HOB 70 gallon. While you are waiting for your tank to cycle you can keep an eye on your temperature to see if varies much you might have to get a different heater or even a second one.

Welcome!!

hmm maybe not dempseys than i want bright and vibrant colored fish.
joy- i want bristlenose pleco i found some bright yellow ones. whats a ug filter? and hob70 sorry i am COMPLETELY new.

Male bristle nose get bigger than females so keep that in mind.
HOB is hang on back filter, UG is under gravel filter, 70 is what the filter is rated for.

This is a site I use when looking for fish that is compatible and what kind of care they need, Tropical Fish Care Guides

i have a ugf and a hob is that bad? yeah thanks for moving me to the right spot... even though when i went to check on it i felt it was deleted cause i am aquaretarded. ill take a look at that link..

could i do lobster(s) any links to lobster help? and a place i could buy one from? preferably white or blue..

I run a UGF and a HOB, my water has NEVER been cleaner and more stable.

UGF's are great filters if used correctly with the right equipment for the water flow.

My UGF is in a 52g flat back hex tank, basically the same as a rectangular 55g but with the front hex. Its heavily planted with the UGF cranking hard, under my tank is crystal clear meaning under the gravel plate. to each their own but UGF filters if used correctly are an AWESOME biological filter bed.

in your size tank, stick with smaller fish from all levels, you have the height to do low/mid and upper water column fish.

what are these? id like to have very bright fish or aggresive fish id like to see more hex tanks around 55gal so i can see some ideas and even how to set up with plants fake or real and all that...

can someone point me in the direction of a canister filter for a hex tank its 55 gal so id need a bigger filter no? mods is it ok if i make a thread about hex tanks so i can get ideas?i wont have pics

I don't think you would need a bigger filter just because it is a hex tank. You would want to get circulation to the bottom, so a spray bar attachment is a good thing. <The XP's comes with the spray bar, but you can buy one for other filters.>

Because of the smaller surface area for gas exchange, you might want to add a bubble-stone or a surface power head.

And by all means start a new thread for a new topic ...

haha yes i think im going to... as far as spray bar link to site as to what it is and powerhead as well... im new and want the tank to be tip top before i change it up... let me know please. thanks.

a spray bar is in simple terms, a piece of pvc with holes drilled every 3/4" or so that spread out the water flow over the length of the aquarium instead of one small nozzle... you can find them on ebay pretty cheap, thats where i found the one for my fluval. The powerheads are basically just a water current pump. Kind of like an impeller on a boat, they just move the water and on top, provide surface agitation for oxygen exchange

so with the spray bar id need another air pump? and power head do they come by size(gal) would i need a 55 or a bigger one as if it were a filter? links to sites or how to do my own spray bar etc..

no the spraybar hooks to the output of the canister filter hose... so the filtered water is sprayed through the spray bar. here is one like the one i have... for powerheads, its really just a matter of figuring out which one you want. here is what i had until i took them out

spray bar wouldnt work than no canister.
how would i figure what power head i need? and what does it do to my UGF? My UGF really seems like it does nothing but bubble ha am i missing a piece?

well, with a ugf and air stone, it doesnt do much more than that. the bubbles force the water to come through the gravel and back up the tube, but a powerhead will make it work much better. Some people run them in reverse, actually pushing water through the tube and back up through the gravel, which really reduces the possibility of "gunk" building up and causing ammonia and nitrate issues... As far as powerheads go, im not really sure what size would be good for your tank, but im sure somebody more experienced with them would have a good idea

Back
Top Bottom