Alligator gar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpjones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has envy one had experience on these fish before? What do they get feed and what fish can they live with that they won't eat? I am new to the whole predator fish thing so anything will help!! Thanks

Has envy one had experience on these fish before? What do they get feed and what fish can they live with that they won't eat? I am new to the whole predator fish thing so anything will help!! Thanks

You realize alligator far can get close to 7 feet...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387839376.344220.jpg

Just... Noooo, these fish are not meant to be kept in aquariums...they are opportunistic predators, they will eat anything and everything they can, unless you have a 700+gal tank and a lifetime supply of feeder fish id look into an Oscar or something...

Really that's weird because there were so many aquariums that I saw had gar in the and they were very small??

Those weren't alligator gar. They were probably one of the smaller far species.

Dan on the site where that sell them they don't say they get that big?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387844979.344900.jpg

Lol that is a needle nose not an alligator. Much different fish personality wise and size wise.

Yeah as you can tell I haven't had these before but would you recommend these

When getting involved with any species of fish, research, research , and a little more research will always do you best, fishing for positive responses in an AA thread will not fare thee well long term..

No one in this hobby needs to own an alligator gar they can get up to 10 foot long. They belong in the wild or public aquariums. Don't even consider buying one a needle nose gar is doable but requires a huge tank they can still get 24-28 inches. In the wild they can get around 3 foot. If you want a needlenose go buy a 220 gallon 8 foot tank for them.

No one in this hobby needs to own an alligator gar they can get up to 10 foot long. They belong in the wild or public aquariums. Don't even consider buying one a needle nose gar is doable but requires a huge tank they can still get 24-28 inches. In the wild they can get around 3 foot. If you want a needlenose go buy a 220 gallon 8 foot tank for them.

Agreed, no one should keep one of these, just goes above the limit of the home aquaria. But ive seen people on this forum with 3000+ gallon tanks.

It depends if its a 30 foot by 30 foot tank maybe maybe you could keep one still its a huge fish.

Haha yah I mean they are huge fish but who honestly has 20x20 let alone a 30x30 foot tank.

I don't lol thanks for the help know I now not to get them. I realy didn't think that that got that big!!!

I have an Alagator gar he is 21/2 feet long he's 2 years old eats 3 gold fish a day.... If he was caught in the wild he would grow up to 15 feet. But if breed in captivity they only get about 3 to 4 feet.he is a doll loves my cats.... And will try to snuggle with u if u lye on the floor on front of him threw his tank lol

I disagree with you. These fish will still get massive over time. They're just relatively slow growers once they hit 3-4'. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of yours.

Back
Top Bottom