almost cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well i just tested my 20 gal tank and i got 0 ammonia, but my nitrates are at about 15-20
my nitrites where around 1-3 and my ph was around 8.4 is the ph at a good level or too high? also how can i lower my nitrites and nitrates?

other then that my tank looks really clear and my plants are going at a growing well. also hte test kit says i can add aquarium salt to lower nitrites is this true?

You are getting there. Salt can help lower the toxicity of nitrite. I would change water to lower those nitrites. Sounds like you are doing well.

The nitrites should be gone by themselves in a few days! Don't add anything to the water to get rid of them. The nitrates are not actually bad for your tank/fishes, unless they are really high. Plus nitrates are food for your plants.

If your pH of 8.4 is ok depends on the fish you want to keep.

ok ill do a water change then and then check to see if the nitrites are lower or will they lower without a water change? also will the water change harm the ammonia which is at 0?

Yes change some water to drop the nitrite number. 1 - 3 is high. Dont worry about ammonia you have finished that part of the cycle.

alright and does it matter if i add hot water into the tank bc i usually fill the bucket with half hot half cold to get it good temperature so does it matter?

Are there fish in the tank? If there are fish, the nitrites were too high. If not then no reason to change water at all.

On a side note, do not ever add hot water to a tank. Only add water that is the same temp as the water in the tank. Maybe I was little confused by the wording when you asked if it was ok to add hot water to the tank. But make sure that it is the same temp as the water currently in the tank. What is the exact Nitrite reading? The difference between 1 and 3 is really big when fish are involved. Are you using the liquid reagent test kit?

no i have a stick measuring kit i just tested it now after the water change yesteday and it looked close to 2, it wasnt as pink as 3 but not as tan as 1 so idk, ill wait like 3 days and then do a water change in 3 days and check then

The strip test kits are not accurate. Take a water sample to a lfs that uses liquid reagent kits. You should purchase one for yourself to use since it can be a hassle to take a water sample to the lfs everytime you need a reading. I have used both kits and have seen drastic differences between the two in regards to the readings.

The kit can be ordered online for over half of what they sell for at the lfs. Around here they sell around $45. Online for $15. Even after shipping its $22, 50% less than the lfs. A good place to buy one from is Big Al's.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=

The strips are normally about the same price and you only get somewhere between 10 and 20 tests. The AP says 700. I've never run out so I can't say for sure how many tests it does but I've had the same kit for about 10 months now.

Back
Top Bottom