Almost done cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Helloooo

I believe I am close to the end of my cycle :lol:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 5 ppm
It has been this way for about 5 days now.

The LFS told me in order to get rid of that Nitrite spike to not feed my beloved Zebra Danios for about 5 days and to gravel vac and they should be pretty close to gone after that.

Can somebody just please confirm this for me? :roll:

Thanks
-Dan

:D Hi Dan........ sounds like you're on your way. Gravel vac only half the tank or you may be in for a "mini cycle". I'd be doing water changes (20%), until the nitrates read 0.

The de-nitrifying part of the cycle can take several weeks so don't be disappointed if it is not over soon. It is the most frustrating part of the cycle and probably the point at which most people post about their cycle woes, so hang tough!

Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

so what you're saying is that although its been 5 weeks and my ammonia dropped about 5 days ago and the NitrItes came around the same time that they dropped, I still have several weeks to go? Did I go through a very slow cycle? I've been DYING to throw some new fish in there but I most certainly DO realize the importance of being patient; So I will do just that...
please respond 8O

Yes - it is somewhat unusual for the ammonia to hang about for that long. Generally that part of the cycle goes much faster, and the waiting is done on the nitrite. There may have been some factors that caused that to happen, but at this point all you can do is wait. It will happen but as you mentioned, no more fish for now or it will come to grief, no doubt. :?

I feel your pain!

Im in the same boat, Fishalicious! My nitrites have spiked and stayed up even when my ammonia levels have been at zero for almost two weeks. My nitrates have started to come around though as they are reading on the scale now so Im sure it wont be a whole lot longer for me...just like you, I cant wait to get more fish, but just like you, I have to. :cry:

'Safe' nitrites level

What would be a 'safe' nitrites level to shoot for while cycling?

I, too, am in the nitrites phase of cycling a new tank, and am changing ~1/3 daily to keep nitrites low.

Cheers

No nitrItes at all is obviously ideal, but considering we're still cycling, I think anything over 3.0ppm should be avoided. 8)

I cant tell whether my nitrites are at 3.0 or 5.0 because the shades of color to match them to on the test kit are practically identical and I dont think the human eye could really match the real one to the test tube. I'm just being very cautious and watching out for my little danios but they seem to be very happy and there are no signs of poisoning to me. :lol:

Looks like I'll just have to keep waiting.........

Anyone wishing to talk about this or anything else is free to IM me on AOL or AIM.

~Dan

I believe you need to keep the nitrite under 2ppm to avoid stressing the fish, but some fish tolerate nitrite much better than others. Danios are reknown for their ability to tolerate the stress of cycling.

Increasing aeration, lowering temps and adding salt will also help the fish tolerate nitrite poisoning.

Yeah. Def.
Sorry I should've mentioned that Zebra Danios can take the abuse more than others. I'm trying my hardest to keep the nitrItes under 3ppm but even when they are 3+, they still chase each other and swim around happily in their very own 55 gallon tank that they've claimed their own. Until the next tenants move in.....
bwahaha-hahha-hahahahaha :twisted:

:wink: Dan

Back
Top Bottom