Almost Ready!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
of course...

I find that my nitrates are fluctuating just a wee bit ... up high then down some on their own. I am thinking this might be because of my plants and the "additives" i use for them (flourish, excel, iron, etc). Not that I have added a whole lot mind you, only like 3 times since Oct 7. Just seems the nitrates drop each and every time I add any plant help.....

I fully intend on makin sure the whole system is stable and rock solid before adding fishies. My ammonia and nitrates will be 0 for 3-5 days in a row and will definitely make sure my trates are below 10! Can't deny that I am feeling more excited every day with the idea of adding livestock coming closer :ROFLMAO:

Ok, so it had to be the doses of flourish/excel/iron etc that I use for my plants, for when I got home last night I cooked and ate dinner and then promptly tested my tank almost exactly 24 hours after the test on the 22nd....

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
the ammonia and nitrites are BOTH finally reading 0!! YaY!!
However, the nitrates just dropped all by themselves again and everyone says they just DONT do that! Well, mine have.... I tested the tank water twice. Topped up, waited an hour and tested again. I have my temp set at 82F (has been for over a week) and trimmed my hornwort. My amazon sword lace plant has outter leaves browning but growing three nice new inner leaves and my anubias nana looks GREAT.
So.. I added 3 more drops of ammonia like I said I was going to and will test the tank again at 5:30pm my time (24 hours). If the ammonia and nitrite still both read 0, and even if the nitrate still reads < 5, I will do a water change and pick up 3 or 4 emerald eye rasbora after work on Friday!!

Something to be aware of - in some test kits ( I think especially the API) the nitrate kit easily gives a false too-low reading if you don't shake it hard enough. There's some kind of powder in one of the bottles that settles down to the bottom and apparently you have to shake it really, really hard to loosen that powder and get an accurate test.

Not sure if this could be happening in your case, but it's worth considering.

GREAT to know!

Something to be aware of - in some test kits ( I think especially the API) the nitrate kit easily gives a false too-low reading if you don't shake it hard enough. There's some kind of powder in one of the bottles that settles down to the bottom and apparently you have to shake it really, really hard to loosen that powder and get an accurate test.

Not sure if this could be happening in your case, but it's worth considering.

I will make sure I shake the dickens outta all the bottles before doing my tests from now on then. I bought the master test kits for both fresh and salt water tanks as I started one of each.

Ok, tested without shaking.. then shook the absolute dickens outta both the API nitrate test bottles for a good 3 minutes and tested again.
Tests were identical!! My tests as of 7:00pm tonight...
ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 5 (same as yesterday, both tests tonight)
So, I am 95% certain that my tank has indeed successfully cycled.
However, that 5% uncertainty has led me to dose it with 5 drops of ammonia, no water change - IF the test tomorrow (Friday) evening is again 0/0/5< .... then I will consider still doing a water change and adding some fishies on Saturday.
Always better to be safe than sorry and I have been quite patient this long and figured what's another day eh!! (Canadian attitude)!! Cheers, here is to hoping I have some fish in by Saturday evening so I can take some pics.

livestock....

6 x emerald eye rasbora
1 x dwarf gourami
if needed later: 2 x otocinclus

even if my water if good tonight, I will only be adding 4 of the rasboras tomorrow. Plan is to add half, then the other half a week or two later. :D

Ok, now I AM ready!!
Today tests @ 5:30pm
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = 5
Tests been like this for 3 full days in a row and I have been adding ammonia every day!
I shook the nitrate test bottles from my API kit again and again my nitrates did NOT increase. I am seriously thinking that my plants and fertilizers (seachem only) must be keeping trates stable. Either way, I am buying 4 ee rasbora tomorrow!!

Not really that heavily planted....
10 gallon with: 1 amazon sword lace plant, 1 hornwort, 1 cryptocoryne & 2 anubias nana!
However, the last two days, I have done the nitrates tests twice. First I just did them like I normally did, second I shook both test bottles vigorously prior to the test and both days, both tests came out the same.
Nitrates are not increasing and have remained stable for a couple of days even thru adding ammonia to feed BB. I did fertilize my plants a couple days ago with flourish and am thinking that is what is keeping the nitrates stable in this small tank.
I am only getting 4 emerald eye rasbora today. Still don't want to overload the tank. Perhaps in a week or two, I will add 2 more rasbora & a dwarf gourami (not sure bout that as I have read they are susceptible to Ich)

WoW!

Thanks Masha :fish1:

Update: 3 x emerald eye rasbora & 1 electric blue ram (changed my mind on the dwarf gourami as they are suspected to be highly susceptible to Ich)

If all goes well for the next week then I add another 3 emerald eye rasbora next week!

Attachments

• Iphone 2013-10-26 100.jpg
    Iphone 2013-10-26 100.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Iphone 2013-10-26 101.JPG
    Iphone 2013-10-26 101.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 47
WoW!! I just noticed that my hornwort plant must really love my tank water and conditions as it has sprouted up to almost double in size since I put it in there on October 10!!
However, now that I added my first few fish yesterday (they seem to be doing well today) I am worried about putting the flourish in :(
I don't want to stress or injure my fish, but the plants need the maintenance too. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Add it to the water next time you do a water change. Wont harm your fish.

Wish I could get hold of some more interesting plants. The shops here pretty much only have java fern.

pH issue?

today, a lil over 24 hours since putting in my fishies:
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = 0
pH = 7.6!
should I do a water change? A small one?

Looks great! Glad everyone is doing well. Make sure to watch for mini cycles as you add fish.

Masha, this is a bit off subject, but I just ordered plants from another member here on the board. Great transaction and certainly plants I couldn't have found locally. Check out the classified section to see what you like.

doh!....

well all the fishies looked good this morning (before work) at 5:30am!

Unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap with the fish food (too early) and dropped more in the tank than intended. scooped most back out, some sunk and I did a quick scouring of the bottom with a new net...
I think I will have to "rinse" the filter pad tonight & shake off excess picked up there and vacuum bottom of tank. Will be keeping close eye on water params again for the next few days for spikes but all should be fine. :eek:

I think we've all been there! Of course it always happens when you don't have time to do a thorough vac and water change. Good luck, let us know how everyone is doing when you get home.

Back
Top Bottom