Almost Ready!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a fishless cycle using ammonia on October 7/2013!
I used dark flourite substrate and planted the tank on Oct 13/2013 -still adding ammonia daily and doing daily tests for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.

plants: 1 cryptocoryne, 2 anubias nana attached to driftwood (real), hornwort & amazon lace sword. Daily addiing ammonia and testing has showed that my tank is almost cycled :cool:

I will do a large (50-70%) water change tomorrow and add fish on Sunday.
Starting with my 4 emerald eye rasbora
Sunday Oct 27 - will add 4 cardinal tetra

Congrats Tmar! We would all love to see pictures when you have a chance to add them.

Would be thrilled to post pics of my tank if I can figure out how :cool:

Do I need an online picture storage such as photobucket or can I upload pics directly from my harddrive....

my pics are not on my laptop (at work) but this is the album i created on my facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...685.1073741826.1112149182&type=1&l=b7f8065d45

Its pretty easy to upload pics and outside photo storage places are not necessary! Heres how:

Computer:
Click on the 'go advanced' reply button. A new screen will pop up with a box for your reply. At the top of the box, you will see a 'paperclip' symbol. Click this and you can browse and upload pics from your computer's library/files.

App:
Click on the 'reply' button (arrow). Type your reply. At the top of the screen on the right is a '+' symbol. Click the '+' button and you can upload pics from your cell library. The pics will not appear on your written reply screen but will post when you click submit.

Hope this helps! :)

Ok, so I got home and did my regular tests on the tank, results were:
ammonia 0.25
nitrites 5
nitrates 80
So, I did a large 7.5 gallon water change and added 3 drops of ammonia!
Hopefully by 7 tomorrow evening, the readings will show ready to add my emerald eye rasbora x 4

Bummer.....

I tested the tank this morning....

again:
ammonia 0.25
nitrites are still up at 5
nitrates back up to around 80

no fish for the tank this weekend :ermm::eek:
I am going to wait until around 7 pm tonight and do another very large water change and add 3 more drops of ammonia. I just don't understand what is keepin the nitrites & nitrates so high :nono:

I wouldn't add any more ammonia, you still have plenty. Try raising your tank temp to around 80.

When you think your tank is cycled that your dose the tank back to 4ppm and if it is 0 ammo, 0 nitrite 24hours later then your tank is cycled. After that do a 90% wc and you are then ready for fish. That and crank the heat to 86 that's where is should be for the whole cycle. Don't drop it back until you are ready to add your fish.

confused..

Ok, I did my water change last night and just left the tank. Never added any more ammonia. Today 3:45pm:
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 5
nitrates = 80
so if I don't add ammonia now, does that start to starve the bacteria that has already built up? Is that a good thing? Do I now just leave the system as is until the ammonia & nitrites are both = 0 ??
All the instructions I have read for fishless cycle, say to keep feeding the bacteria ammonia daily until one day ammonia and nitrites are at 0. :banghead:

Yes you will still need to add ammo to feed the bb. Everytime your ammo gets below 1ppm add more ammo. If you get your tank cycled and still aren't quite ready for fish just dose 1ppm daily until you are ready, then do the big wc.

I just thought about your levels and you need to do another wc or risk it stalling the end of your cycle Your nitrites and nitrates are really high. So do a water change and test again after. Take that nitrate down to at least 20 and half the nitrite, also what is your PH?

ok...

Ok, so add the ammonia before the water change? after the water change? pH is sitting at 7.2 :blink: :confused:

doh!

Ok, after a significant 50ish % water change and waiting an hour to test:
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 5
nitrates = 20
adding more ammonia now i guess :ermm: :facepalm:
feel like a hamster on its wheel - putting out a lot of effort and getting nowhere!

Ok, after a significant 50ish % water change and waiting an hour to test:
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 5
nitrates = 20
adding more ammonia now i guess :ermm: :facepalm:
feel like a hamster on its wheel - putting out a lot of effort and getting nowhere!

What is your ph?

and today...

tested my tank at 5:15pm
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 2
nitrates = 40-80
added 3 drops of ammonia.
I think I'm still on track! :cool:

flourish...

My plants are starting to look a little wilted and brownish so I dosed them with Seachem Flourish this morning before I head to work. I will be doing the tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates again tonight and hopefully.... :cool:

Dont worry tho.. even if am & Ni read 0, I just plan on dosing 3 drops of am for the rest of the week (make sure of no nasty surprises) and then will do the water change on Saturday (if still on track) and get fish on Sunday :whistle::fish2:

Glad you're doing so well. Make sure you have those nitrates between 10 and 20 before you start adding fish. That high of nitrates can harm fish. A couple 50% water changes should get you there.

Back
Top Bottom