Am I being impatient

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian1357

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a fish less cycle about ten days ago. My ammonia levels have not dropped, still at around 4ppm. I have plants in the tank. Have dosed with flourish and flourish excel.
So am I being impatient?
Cheers
Ian:confused:

Hi Ian - Yes!
However, you could speed up the process by seeding your filter using an old piece of 'dirty' filter media from another tank (a friend or your LSH). Bottled bacteria cultures have helped some but I don't rate its success above 50/50.
Flourish and Excel should neither help or hinder your cycling but will help the plants to get established.
Keep your Ph above 6.5 and your temperature up at around 80f.
There is no known equation to determine the time taken to cycle a tank, they all vary, but once the bacteria starts up it can be quite rapid to a full cycle.
Hang in there ?. Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mines been cycling since 9/12 just finished a 4ppm test today and still had nitrites....so yeah it can be a while

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Then I will be patient

Thank you guys. I will be patient. I do want my plants to be established too. So now I will wait.
BTW How often should I test?
Cheers
Ian:thanks:

Hi. You can test as often as you like but in the early days about every 3 to 5 days. More often as you start to get some action where additional ammonia and or water changes are needed. No more than daily though.
Once cycled treat your filters like a baby, nurture it and grow that bacteria. To a great extent the Fish will look after themselves.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Hi guys, I finished my 90 gal, planted , and my cycle took and took about 16 days. It was a fishless cycle and my first attempt at it. I used some plants from my Aquarium and the ones that I bought, they helped with my seeding material for the cycle. It promoted some bacteria to start to grow, plus I used a pinch of fish flakes to feed the bacteria that's growing your filter. At first I thought it was never going to happen, but by doing my daily water tests I started to see how a scientific approach can be done , with a lot of patience.
I'm currently cycling a 10 gal, for a future aquascape, or just a hospital tank? Now I have my own seeding and the process moves pretty quick now. It works , and its less stress on the fish when you add them in , even though your filter is strong and could handle a full stocking of fish, gradually introduce them in groups over a week or two, just to keep your water parameters in check. Do partial water changes, weekly is best , but after all that said your water will balance out and your fish will be happy [emoji1]

Clem.

Thanks , I got advice from there. I couldn't figure out how to post the article from the advice column. It would have saved a lot of explaining! [emoji39]

Clem.

I was

Tested today and the ammonia has dropped. to about 2ppm. Going to test again tomorrow. Then bring it back up to 4ppm:)

Tested today and the ammonia has dropped. to about 2ppm. Going to test again tomorrow. Then bring it back up to 4ppm:)
Your on your way!!![emoji39]
Keep your ammonia up, you should start to see spikes in the nitrites, and nitrates soon. But keep an eye on your pH , once it drops, water change , but wait for the nitrites and nitrates to come up first.

Clem.

update

did a test yesterday. Ammonia was 0 NitrItes above 5ppm. Now here is the dilemma. NitrAtes after the initial test it was between 5 and 10 ppm. I came back today to do a test today (BTW I did i put ammonia back to 4ppm). I had not cleaned out the nitrAte test bottle the color now indicated over 80ppm.
so todays results show 0 Ammonia over 5ppm nitrItes 5ppm for NitrAtes.
Can any one explain the NitrAtes results please.

I am using API Fresh water test kit. I did shake the nitrAte tests for above the recommended time. :confused::confused:

P.S. PH 7.8 No change from the start

The nitrate can be tricky as you have to shake the heck out of it. I often test twice to make sure I get the same reading.

You're just waiting for those nitrites to drop off soon :)

Caleb

Don't worry about nitrates yet, they really aren't important until you have fish in there. Just test ammonia and nitrite until they zero out then water change then test nitrates to make sure enough have been removed to add fish

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

another update

Today's result Ammonia 0 NitrItes 0
Reset Ammonia to 4ppm will test tomorrow. If same, I will test for NitrAtes as well and do a 50% water change.
Thanks for all the great advice
Cheers
Ian:thanks:

NitrIte Question

I know you have to shake a lot :) for the nitrAte test.
I have seen suggestions you should also shake the NitrIte test bottle.
However my question is when doing the test for nitrItes. The instuctions say say wait for five minutes for the test to change color. After this period my test shows 5ppm . However after about 30 minutes the color changes to show 0 nitrItes.
Baffled any suggestions?
Cheers
Ian:confused:

Back
Top Bottom