Am I cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm headed to a fire dept training class tonight, but I'll browse some of these links tomorrow. Thanks for the speedy assistance, and I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow with more questions. ;)

Can you test your tap water?

Here's my theory for the bacterial bloom:

The Nutrafin had bacteria to convert ammo to nitrItes but bateria for converting nitrItes to nitrAtes died off somewhere. Tap water has ammo in it, you added nutrafin and tap water, ammo got converted into nitrItes, somehow they nitrItes disappeared.

But it still doesn't explain where the nitrItes went though.
Bacterial blooms are not necessarily directly related to the nitrifying bacteria that colonize the tank.

It was likely just organics in the water breaking down and being consumed by bacteria which bloomed and will eventually dissipate or be consumed by larger microfauna.

OK. I had a chance to read thru librarygirl's startup FAQ over lunch. GREAT stuff! Today was my anticipated day to start adding fish, but I'm glad I found this site first. This is my first post, and folks were very helpful.

I looked at 5 or 6 different places for pure ammonia with no luck. I don't know of an Ace Hardware anywhere closeby, so I tried Lowe's, a couple of local "Mom & Pop" hardware stores, and I even tried Walgreens and their pharmacy. The closest I've found so far was called Clear Ammonia. The 2 ingredients it listed were ammonium hydroxide & surfactant. According to the FAQ, surfactant is a no-no. Is that a COMPLETE no-no, or just a strong recommendation? :)

The article also talks about getting ammonia ppm up to around 4, but it doesn't say how much ammonia that would take. Doing some quick volumetric guesstimations, I'm guessing only a couple of drops but that sure doesn't seem like much.

Any advice on either of those? I hate this "starting from scratch" feeling, but I guess it is what it is. I trusted the NutraFin Cycle. :(

I strongly recommend against surfactants. There are a few types that won't cause problems...but most will. I did a huge write up about this on a different site yesterday. If you're interested in seeing it I can link it...otherwise just take my advice and avoid them.

If you simply can't find pure ammonia...using a raw shrimp or a mesh bag of fish food works as well. I simply prefer the pure stuff since it is easier to be precise with. Local hardware stores (not places like Home Depot) are normally your best bet. I've heard Walgreens sells it...but I can't confirm it :)

I've heard Walgreens sells it...but I can't confirm it

Walgreen's is where I found the clearest version that didn't have lemon scent, cleaning additive, or any of that other stuff. The label still said surfactant in the fine print, and it sudsed a little when I shook the bottle.

FYI, I checked my ammonia yesterday and it was 0.25. Today it's reading 0.5 and I haven't done anything to it. Wonder if the NutraFin stuff is at least trying to kick in?

Vol4Ever said:
Walgreen's is where I found the clearest version that didn't have lemon scent, cleaning additive, or any of that other stuff. The label still said surfactant in the fine print, and it sudsed a little when I shook the bottle.

FYI, I checked my ammonia yesterday and it was 0.25. Today it's reading 0.5 and I haven't done anything to it. Wonder if the NutraFin stuff is at least trying to kick in?

Even if the Nutrifin actually contained true nitrifying bacteria (which I don't believe it does), it wouldn't increase ammonia, it would be consuming it.

In order to get things started while you search for pure ammo, I'd pick up a raw shrimp and toss it in the tank. It will decay and leech ammonia which is what is required for the cycle to actually begin :)

Well, I got lucky and found a small Ace i didn't even know existed. Aisle 9 and the ammonia was mine for $2.49. :)

Now back to my other question. How much to put in a 10 gallon? I was originally calculating a few drops, but the label says this stuff is only 10% potent. Recalculating, I'm getting about 15 mL to get to 4 ppm. Does that sound close to right?

Vol4Ever said:
Well, I got lucky and found a small Ace i didn't even know existed. Aisle 9 and the ammonia was mine for $2.49. :)

Now back to my other question. How much to put in a 10 gallon? I was originally calculating a few drops, but the label says this stuff is only 10% potent. Recalculating, I'm getting about 15 mL to get to 4 ppm. Does that sound close to right?

That stuff is super potent...the strongest I've ever heard of. I don't know the formula for getting to 4ppm (others might), but I'd start with a few drops, let it circulate, test, add more if necessary, circulate, test, etc... If you overdose you can just do a pwc to bring it back down.

I can do the math.

10 gal = 37,854 mL

Therefore 1 ppm would be 0.038 mL. 4 ppm would be 0.15 mL.

That is the proper amount for PURE ammonia. I'm just trying to figure out if I have to take into account the fact that the label says 10% ammonium hydroxide. To me that implies you need 10x which would be 1.5 mL. Ignore my 15 mL calculation. It was wrong!

</geekspeak>

I can do the math.

10 gal = 37,854 mL

Therefore 1 ppm would be 0.038 mL. 4 ppm would be 0.15 mL.

That is the proper amount for PURE ammonia. I'm just trying to figure out if I have to take into account the fact that the label says 10% ammonium hydroxide. To me that implies you need 10x which would be 1.5 mL. Ignore my 15 mL calculation. It was wrong!

</geekspeak>

Glad you found it! It's very potent stuff, so be careful lol. I find it's best to be very conservative and test as you go until you get to your desired ammonia level, then just count the drops so you'll know for next time. This site has a calculator for ammonia in a fishless cycle, although I personally haven't used it (although it seems your 1.5 calculation is correct!).

Last post for the night. I wish the aq was at home since I have to do all the tinkering while at work. My plan tomorrow is to try 1.5 (prob a little less to start) to get to the 4 ppm ammonia mark. Wonder of I should do a heavy pwc or even fwc to get the nutrafin crap outta there?

Back
Top Bottom