Am I cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had aquariums in the past but always dumped in a little water conditioner and added fish. Great for hobby but was never very successful. This time I've done quite a bit of studying, and I'm adding a brand new 10 gal to my office.

I used water conditioner, and I also added some nutrafin cycle for a few days. I did get the bacteria bloom that lasted for about 2 days or so, then it cleared. Unfortunately I just now got my API test kit, so I don't have baseline readings. At about the 1 week mark, API showed 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Is the fact that I did get the bloom sufficient proof that the aquarium did cycle? I'm anxious to add fish! Thanks in advance from a newb.

I think it is safe to say that your tank has cycled. Your levels are obviously ok at the moment. I personally would go ahead and add a couple of fish at the end of the second week of cycling. I am also quite new to the hobby but have setup two tanks in this way and have had no problems. Once you add the fish it is important to monitor the levels and not add more fish two quickly. A small group of neons worked well with my tank. I'm sure the more experienced people on AA will correct any of the things above that are rubbish but I'm fairly confident with what I have said! J

J as always said:
Why should there be nitrates?

Nitrates are the end of the of nitrogen cycle and unless it is well planted there should be nitrates because nothing would be using them for nutrients. If you are going to add fish only add 1-2 depending on how much bioload they would add but monitor the water parameters daily to make sure nothing is spiking.

How long has the tank been running?

If there is nothing in the tank to produce ammonia in the water in the first place, what would the bacteria be turning into the nitrate at the end of the nitrogen cycle. Surely everything should read zero?

J as always said:
If there is nothing in the tank to produce ammonia in the water in the first place, what would the bacteria be turning into the nitrate at the end of the nitrogen cycle. Surely everything should read zero?

Correct everything would be reading zero because the is no part of the nitrogen cycle taking place. The OP can add fish and do a fish in cycle but unless they are comfortable with this and will monitor daily and be ready for potential daily PWC I wouldn't recommend thus route.

I can test tap water and it will come out 0,0,0.

There is no way your tank is cycled that quickly. Nutrafin cycle is junk, so don't expect it to do anything.

At this point either consider doing the fishless cycle method, or do a fish-in cycle, but only put in one or two small fish, and don't add any new fish for at least a month while you monitor the water parameters and do water changes as needed.

Isn't the nutrafin cycle product used to kickstart everything with the fishless method? I also thought everything was SUPPOSED to return to zero at end of cycling process. Am I now understanding I should be reading nitrates before adding fish? Now I'm confused.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as difficult I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about this awesome hobby! Thank you for you patience. J

Please do not be giving out advice if you do not understand something someone could take it to heart implement it,this could cost someone their fish.

nutrafin cycle is more of a snake oil product than anything, don't rely on it to help cycle the tank.

Once your tank is steadily reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and some nitrates then you will be cycled. It takes weeks to do this, and you need to have an ammonia source in the tank, whether it be from dosing pure ammonia, adding food to rot, or from a few fish.

There are many links to the nitrogen cycle for aquariums at this site but briefly

Fish waste produces ammonia which is toxic to fish at levels over .25 ppm

Beneficial Bacteria is needed to convert ammonia to NitrItes which is still toxic to fish. It takes some time for the bacteria to grow, most in your filter and substrate.

A second set of bacteria then grows to convert NitrItes to NitrAtes and this too takes time.

Although plants do use some of the NitrAtes, NitrAtes do collect in your aquarium water and you should do partial water changes to get ride of high concentrations of NitrAtes. A level of under 40 ppm is considered safe long term.

This nitrogen cycle usually takes from 3 to 5 weeks to complete and have your aquarium ready for fish.

The alternative is to have fish in the aquarium and you would monitor all levels of you water parameters and change when those levels get high enough to be toxic. The water changes can be as often a twice per day.

With nothing in the tank other than nutrafin, any idea what caused the bloom? That sure had me thinking I was headed in the right direction while I waited on my API kit.

Isn't the nutrafin cycle product used to kickstart everything with the fishless method? I also thought everything was SUPPOSED to return to zero at end of cycling process. Am I now understanding I should be reading nitrates before adding fish? Now I'm confused.

Correct, it is used to kickstart fishless cycling. But from my knowledge it is not the best product, as many of the other brands that are on the market for kickstarting fishless cycling. The reason being you should have nitrates is because when you add the ammonia, the bacteria will convert it into nitrItes, and the other species of beneficial bacteria will convert nitrItes into nitrAtes. Unless you have a heavily planted tank which then the plants will absorb all nitrAtes you should have some.

Nope. Just water, conditioner, nutrafin, gravel, a couple of non-live plants, and an air stone. All equipment washed thoroughly in plain tap water before adding to setup.

Nope. Just water, conditioner, nutrafin, gravel, a couple of non-live plants, and an air stone. All equipment washed thoroughly in plain tap water before adding to setup.

Bacteria need an ammonia source (either fish waste or decaying fish food or pure ammonia) feed on and colonize. After a week of just letting the tank run essentially I'd say you're not cycled at all. And yes there should be some nitrates if you were. Most of the cycling products are gimmicks IMO, I used one twice and it didn't help either time.

There's a link in my signature (new empty tank..). Read that guide and it will tell you what to do to get your tank cycled and ready for fish. Good luck.

Can you test your tap water?

Here's my theory for the bacterial bloom:

The Nutrafin had bacteria to convert ammo to nitrItes but bateria for converting nitrItes to nitrAtes died off somewhere. Tap water has ammo in it, you added nutrafin and tap water, ammo got converted into nitrItes, somehow they nitrItes disappeared.

But it still doesn't explain where the nitrItes went though.

Agreed, the "instant cycling" products still require an ammonia source to do anything (which that brand probably wouldn't have anyway).

Im glad you made the effort of asking the question before adding fish. You definitely saved yourself some work...and at the very least will know what you're in for whether you decide to do a fishless or fish-in cycle.

Here's a couple links to get you started off right :)-

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html

Back
Top Bottom